Chapter 14- There Was Nothing I Could Do

Start from the beginning

Nick's POV
When I managed to get up, I was still chained. But I was also alone. "Dominic" At the sound of the whisper, I turned to look all around. There's no way in hell I'm letting this thing get me. Not now, not ever.

"Nick! Nick! Nick!" All of a sudden I was in the middle of our high school football field in my uniform running to catch the ball, people were chanting my name. I managed to nudge Ethan out of the way in order to catch the ball. Once I did, I carried it out into the end zone and everyone started cheering.

Once I saw Wren and Piper come up and hug me in cheerleader uniforms, I already knew where I was. The championship game in sophomore year.

I turned to give Wren a kiss but all of a sudden her face had started to decay and she looked like Ethan when we carried his body out of the fire.

"Why did you let me die Nick?"

All of a sudden I was back in the pitch black room. "I didn't let you die! Grayson tried everything he could but-"

"Bullshit! You all could've saved me, you just chose not to. Piper could've healed me, you could've healed me, Wren could've fucking healed me! But you all let me die. Guess I shouldn't even be surprised, you always left me out to rot."

"That's not true." Ethan comes out of the shadows chuckling evilly. "That's funny considering you never included me in anything. You never gave me any of the glory! You got the girl. You got the friends. You were the freakin star of our high school!"

"That's not my fault Ethan."

"Yes it was. And you proved who you're loyal to when you decided to help Wren the night of the explosion instead of me." Ethan shouted angrily, I shake my head.

"What's wrong? Are you getting angry? Are you finally realizing what you did to me?! At that game, you pushed me out of the way so you could catch the ball and bask in the glory. At home, you tried to be the hero and protect mom from dad but you let ME get the beatings from him instead! And that night, you ran in because Wren came in and tried to save me. You ran in to save her and you let me die Nick! Is it ringing any bells yet?!"

"No!" I scream, he laughs.

"Oh yeah? Then why are you getting angry huh? That's because you're remembering. You deserve to remember everything you did." All of a sudden I felt a stabbing pain in my head. When I opened my eyes, I was thirteen watching my drunk father hurt my mother.

"You need to stop this Sam! We have children to take care of. What kind of example do you think you're setting for them."

"Shut up bitch!" My father shouts, raising his hand and bringing it against my mother's face. "We have to stop them." I was pulled back by Ethan who was shaking his head.

"Not yet."

"Not yet? Are you crazy? She could get seriously injured!" He motioned for me to be quiet and pointed back to the two of them.

"How dare you talk to me like that! Ever since Molly died you have been drinking your days away. You have two other children too and they need a father. But I guess that is not you. I want you out by morning Sam. Take your shit and get the fuck out of my house!" He punched her straight in the face which sent her flying down to the floor.

She was knocked out and he kept kicking her. That's when Ethan and I stepped in. "Get away from her!" I tackled our father to the ground and started punching him. He threw me off of him and smirked.

"You pack a hard punch kid. But my is harder." He punched me straight in the jaw, I felt a stinging pain fly through me. "Nick, you're bleeding!" Ethan says apprehensively, I turn back and give him a pleading look.