②:①⑦

Out LoudPresent dayStorybrooke

Out Loud
Present day
Storybrooke

Emma has gone out for the day to investigate Katherine's disappearance some more. Between David's ongoing blackouts and Henry's belief fading, we both had our hands full.

I told Emma to go out alone while I answered calls at the station.

The phone rang and I put in my cheerful voice, "Sheriff's station, thank you for calling. How may I direct your-"

"Hey, stop. It's me," Emma's voice broke out on the other end, "Here's the thing – the last time David went for a dream walk, he went to the Toll Bridge. You know the one? It's a crazy hunch, but I want you to drive there and go see if he was there."

I sigh, not prepared for the sudden action, "I could get somebody else to-"

"Brooke, you were great out there," Emma cuts me off, "I still don't know how you found him. You can do this."

I stayed quiet on the other end of the line for a couple seconds as I weighed my options.

"It's going to be dark out soon. David's going to be let out. If there is something there, we've got to get there first. We don't have time to argue. Can you do this?" Emma questioned.

I sighed and grabbed my keys off the desk, walking out the door and to my car. I got in quickly and started it, driving off to the toll bridge.

"I mean, what am I even looking for?" I asked as I stepped out of the car and onto the bridge.

"Anything out of the ordinary," she told me, "Something that doesn't belong there."

I headed toward the bank of the river under the bridge and looked around.

"And...if I find something?"

"Just follow your instincts."

My eyes land on a board near the bank. I walk over and kneel in front of it before flipping it over. A patch of sand made its home underneath it.

I put Emma on speaker and placed the phone on a nearby rock.

"You...can't give me a clue what I'm looking for?" I ask as I grab a stick and begin to dig.

The stick snapped once I hit a large object. I brushed the sand away with my hand and a jewelry box appeared.

"Anything of Kathryn's." Emma's voice rang out.

I stared down at the jewelry box before picking it up.

"Brooke? What's going on? Did you find something?"

I opened the box to meet the unpleasant surprise of a heart. I drop the box and crawl backwards.

"Oh my god!" I yell.