Chapter 36: feelings?

Mara's Pov

I woke up and breathed in the smell of chemicals running through the busy, yet empty building. Busy as the noises of the people, the hustling and bustling city, rose through the now thinning walls of where we all laid.

A year ago I knew them like the back of my hand. A couple months ago they were strangers to me. Then a couple of hours ago they were some of my best memories.

"You think too much." A voice startled me.

"I didn't know you were awake, sorry." I said as I chuckled quietly knowing that everyone else was asleep.

"It's fine Mara. Honestly I don't understand why you're always so apologetic, when you don't have to apologize for anything." He said as he leaned back on one hand.

"It's always been like that I guess." I said leaning back as well.

"Been like what?" He asks as he raised an eyebrow

"Like, I've always had to apologize and be responsible for somebody else's problems." he got closer to me and looked me in the eye.

"Well stop because you can't keep living for somebody else, you need to live for you." I got lost in his big brown eyes staring into me with a look that was unbeknownst to myself.

Before we knew it we were both slowly leaning in, but something made us stop in our tracks and pull away before something happened. Brandon and I were both embarrassed and looked away from each other.

"Get a room!" a voice interrupted us. I look over and see Austin laughing, Nick on his phone, Edwin laughing with Austin, and Zion sleeping still.

Zion.

I forgot about him. About us. Is there even an us anymore? Were both back to the beginning. The only reason why I liked him was because... I don't even know why.

I fell for him because I didn't have a reason to. I fell because I was happy with him. But maybe that happiness only resonated with us, because we got along as two friends, instead of something more?

I sighed, and checked my phone.

[ 1 new message from Mom
Mara, where are you? We have therapy in 5 minutes! Get your butt here now!

23 missed calls from Mom

1 new message from Dad
Mara your mothers freaking out please, come home the therapist is here now, looking for you.

1 missed call from Dad ]

Dammit! I totally forgot about family therapy night, in his efforts to get us in a better state from emotionally and physically abusing us since I was little, to now being this father that suddenly cares about his family-

"Guys I have to go now, family therapy shit," I wasn't even able to stay back as I grabbed whatever else I had with me and quickly made my way out of the building.

"Okay, Mara take care" Austin smiled, and the rest of those who were awake said a chorus of goodbyes before I fully left the building.