Chapter 7: The Norm

I opened my eyes and stared at the ceiling for a while. Taking in the smell of old wood, and fading out sprays.

You know the feeling of being awake for a few seconds, being completely unaware of all the pain, and sadness that was held over your head for years was just gone.

Then it suddenly hits you like bags and bags of bricks just continuously pounding on your chest, like never-ending pain. The first waking thought, the first breath, is met with hesitation and fear mixed with hesitation.

Awaiting the screaming, yelling, or any sign that anyone was awake, or remotely drunk.

I got up and changed into black jeans, a plain white shirt, and a jacket. I walked downstairs carefully, with my bag, and saw the same scene in front of me.

My dad was drunk and passed out on the couch. Ever since I could remember he's always been drunk. He works but after that, he drinks his ass out. No one else seemed to mind.

He served his purpose to the house, and his daughter and to his daughter only.

Then he would proceed to drink his days away, and he turned into the monster that we all know him as.

My mom had a big bruise somewhere, or everywhere. There was no in-between.

I look up to her, she never a day in her life has complained about our situation.

She still found time for us and it amazes me how she still loves him, even though he hurts her and me.

My little brother is sleeping on the couch with tear stains on his pale cheeks.

He's only six years old. He doesn't deserve to see his mother get beaten right in front of his eyes.

No one else seemed to mind that he was a literal child who had to witness this, the only way he would be able to sleep is to drown out the noise and sing in his head.

Thank god that he could never lay a hand on his only son, the male matriarch of his legacy, the legacy that he is slowly destroying.

Then my older sister, Betty, sitting on the couch with her expensive clothing on and car keys on hand waiting for everything to serve her on a silver platter.

Don't get me wrong she's nice and everything but she just doesn't get the fact that she has to move.

She doesn't seem to care that all of us are suffering, and she is the only one who has to power to change things around here,

The police sure don't care, this was normal, everyone fights, everyone gets hurt on occasion, and it was no use filing a case as it always happened.

I took one look at her, smiled, and left to go to school. The only few hours of my life weren't complete hell.