Chapter 21: I Don't Remember

*trigger warning read at your own discretion

Mara's Pov

It's crazy how a simple conversation can make you rethink all of the memories, all of the choices, and all of the emotions that you felt towards something, due to spontaneous feelings at that moment. Was this all not going to be worth it, if in the end this wasn't love? Or care? But it was just what it was to the naked eye; a toxic place, that is inevitable, for me to be stuck in for the rest of my life.

I was about to sleep until I heard a sudden crash from the kitchen. I ran downstairs and found my mom on the floor with yet another busted eye, and bruises forming on her cheeks.

I ran to her to block the next hit that he was going to strike. I bit my lip to stop myself from screaming after he broke his beer bottle on my back.

"Stop, you're hurting your daughter." My mom cried out as she tried her best to cover me, despite being weak herself.

"She's not my daughter." He yelled and grabbed me by the hair. While my mom crawled to the kitchen to try to find the house phone.

"You are not my daughter, understand? You're a product of sin, you shouldn't even be alive. If I could kill you I would have already." He muttered as he mumbled those words over and over again, against my face before throwing me to the side as he stared at my mother desperately trying to get the phone,

"Stop," I tried to mutter before blacking out, and only remembering a raging pain in my head.