Chapter 28: Why?

Mara's Pov

We just sat there in silence for 45 minutes, no teacher, no announcement that we should all go home because this was a traumatic event. After a while I didn't even notice that the last bell rang until Austin tapped my shoulder.

"The bell rang." He smiled at me barely before leaving quickly.

I walked unconsciously for a few hours, as it took me so long to finally center my thoughts. I found myself in front of the city jail, a place that I knew all too well.

I walked in and hesitantly approached the receptionist, "Can I talk to William Gilmore," They processed him rather quickly after he walked into the room.

"Hi Mara, what a lovely surprise." he said like nothing had happened hours before.

"Why?" i asked

"Why what?" he leaned back as he was playing aloof.

"Why did you hurt her?" I looked down, and then quickly glared at his face that held with no remorse, "Why did you kill her?"

"I was bored," he continued smirking. I stayed silent.

"She wasn't happy with her life, I saved her and they should be thanking me, for saving them from a bitch like her." He said slightly louder.

"She was pregnant, you know." I said as I managed to mutter out.

"No I actually didn't until they told me i was being charged for two murders." He said as he lowly chuckled

"HOW- How can you just, just not care. How can you be so worthless. You lost her. The only person who could love a monster like you. She cared so much about us, she helped the people, the person, you left behind. The person you swore you would protect. The one you helped create. " I said quickly, while whispering the last parts.

"I saved her." He didn't make eye contact. "Saved her from becoming like me, a monster." he chuckled again.

"You don't know how my life is like Mara, everyday I feel guilty-" I cut him off, as his words were becoming poison to my ears, and my

"YOU DON'T KNOW HOW MY LIFE IS LIKE, you jerk. My mom is with another monster who hates the living hell out of me. Your best friend. You don't abandon people you fight for, people you spend half of your life caring and nurturing for. You can't just leave me like that." I wiped the unknown tear that fell down my eye.

"I had my reasons," He started, "If you were to stick with me, then you'd have an even harder time than you do now. Believe me. I felt guilty-"

"You can't keep on saying that you're guilty when you don't even know the meaning of the word. Guilt is feeling remorse for whatever you did, but you clearly don't have that!" I said tightly as I didn't want to cause anymore attention to be put on this conversation.

"You're just some fool, who never cared for the people who cared for him. You are, and always will be a coward. A no good guy, who I feel ashamed to even be considered a part of you, when you don't even know hell about me." I glared at him and quickly walked out of the station and