Chapter 18: Before

Edwin's Pov

After that talk with Nick, I just got the flashback of the earlier years of our friendship. It was the only thing that kept anyone in this damned town afloat. All of us had to find happiness in our own dystopia, and somehow it was each other, instead of usual source of happiness; money and power.

It always made me think, 'was it actually a bad thing to end our friendship'?

Well our friendship, not only with each-other, but all of us was toxic, individually we weren't toxic, but somehow whenever we were together, we let out the worst in each other.

We had our own insecurities, that overruled us.

Austin was spoiled, he did not grasp the concept of the rest of us, aside from Nick and Brandon, were poor.

Nick was aggressive, when he didn't get his way, or if he felt as if we were pushing him to do something, he often exploded at us. But we knew why he was like that, and accepted that fact since he was actually our friend.

Zion was secretive, and kept to himself. We couldn't really blame him because he grew up in such a hostile, and terrifying place. You can't just let people in when you were forced to, in order to live.

Brandon was always filled with joy, and he always brought us together. He was one of the younger ones, and he always mediated every argument or misunderstanding that we had. He was truly the glue that held us together since, he was the reason why we all broke apart all of the sudden.

Then finally Mara, she was the one we all kind of, had a nonverbal agreement to keep safe. We saw her be continuously hurt over and over again, and it was so hard to keep our composure, since even if we didn't want to care, we just did.

We all were simple but we all were like death to each-other. Austin and I often got into arguments because we were both super stubborn. Zion, and Nick didn't get along because they both are very similar, and thus they always get into petty arguments. Brandon and Mara, they got along well but they both had secrets that had caused us all to gang up on them from time to time. We were so weird, but we all had our good moments.

When we had a substitute for one of our classes we would prank them to the point where they would want to sue the school. When we didn't have school we would go to our secret hideout, and old abandoned warehouse. I was a little bit on the outskirts of the town, it was very far from the main city, and was often left empty. It was an old clothing factory that was quite tiny, but spacious enough for six people. Police caught us once, but because of Austin, and Nick's power, we got it closed off for us.

It makes me laugh thinking about how we are all complete strangers now, how different we all really are.