Chapter 39: A Thank You

Mara's Pov

I liked Zion, a lot, but what he said made sense, I guess looking back I didn't really love him like that, I was just so desensitized from human affection that so little got me tripping over my feet. I guess the part that shocked me was just the fact that they all knew this. Or that maybe I was the only one who was oblivious to the truth.

Then there's Brandon who liked me at one point? Not to mention all of his actions recently, our almost kiss, was that a rouse too? Or was it real? I liked Brandon a long time ago, but I knew I wasn't meant for him. I'm not good for any of them, either as a friend or as something more. I was just too broken on my own to even be fixed as one half of a whole.

"Shit," I uttered as I tripped on something that caused me to fall down flat on my face, due to the fact that I wasn't aware of my surroundings. I looked up, and saw my knee bleeding, to top it off the cliche moment where a girl is hurt, and it starts to rain, is happening right now. Just suits the story, I guess.

"Jeez, if you hate me so much just strike me with lightning." I mumbled to the sky. A loud rumble played afterwards, as if it was a sign from the universe that I was meant to have this stupid conversation in order to realize a dumb lesson that was suposed to teach me the value of change.

"You know I have done everything, everything for my life to be better. When I was younger I wished that he would change, that he would finally accept me as his daughter, but why now? Why now when I'm finally starting to be happy you change him. Why do I have to feel these stupid emotions that I don't understand how to cope with because no one taught me how. You made a mistake, now just fucking take me back." I yelled, and just cried my heart out on the floor. Probably looking like a complete madman, crying harshly on the floor as the rain kept pouring and pouring down, getting harsher and harsher each second passing by.

"Mara!" I turned around and saw Brandon.

"WHAT?" I yelled, not really knowing whose voice was it, as I was too engrossed in my own feelings. He stood in front of me and just stared at me, before squatting down to match my height.

"What are you doing here?" I asked the obvious.

"Mara, I am so sorry." he whispered, "I never wanted you too hear it like that. We wanted to tell you earlier, but you left before we could."

"I am not mad at that," i said as I looked at his big, brown eyes, looking back at me in concern, "I'm mad at the fact that I was too engrossed in everything, and that it was just not going to work out in the way that I thought,"

"I will never be sorry for liking you. Remember that. You are such an amazing girl. I'm sorry for not telling you before, but let me tell you now," He said as he grabbed my shoulders and helped me stand up, before speaking again, "Since the day that I met you, I've seen nothing but this girl, who goes through hell, and has a millions problems at once, who handles them by caring about the ones she loves. That to me is something worth waiting for. I'm waiting to wait for you, if you'd let me." he said while holding my hands.

"I've waited for you to say this since the day my dad threw me out of the house." I muttered as I gripped his hands even tighter,

"Does that mean you'll give me a chance?" He asked with hopeful eyes,

"If you're willing to have a girl, with so many flaws in your life, then yes I will give you a chance." I said as I raised an eyebrow before he pulled me tightly into a cold, yet warm heart.

"You may have flaws, but they'll always be the reason why I fell in love with you." He said as he squeezed me tightly, yet softly against his, now wet, shirt.

"Thank you for wanting to love me Brandon." I muttered as I looked at his face as we learned our foreheads togethers.

"Thank you for letting me love you Mara." He said as he pulled away and pulled me into a deep, long lasting kiss. A kiss that I was waiting for my whole life, it seemed.