Chapter 38: She Knows

Brandon's Pov

Shortly after Mara left, we all were able to wake up and just sit around, as we talked about our lives and stuff. We were talking about how Zion and Mara were the latest trend in the school newspaper, for the last couple of months. It was so rare that anyone would be so open about confessing that they liked someone that it was practically treated as a phenomena.

Even with Savannah and I, we were so quiet about being a couple, yet people still found us fascinating, it wasn't until we broke up a few months ago that she left the school as her parents wanted to be in a better place than where we were. And I couldn't blame her, she chose her fate, while we were all left here to decide for our own.

"You know Z, you never actually asked Mara out." Nick said as he recalled the infamous story, of how those two met.

"What do you mean?" Z asked, as he shook his crazy hair, and sat up to face us.

"You kissed her, admitted that you had feelings for her, yet you never made a move. Why is that?" Edwin asked as he too was intrigued by this conversation.

"I never had the chance. I don't know how to feel anymore. I liked her before, but it's been a while now i'm not sure about my feelings anymore," He sighed out as he looked at us concerned, "We had that argument and we still havent made up, I don't know what else to do,"

"Don't break her heart Zion," Austin interrupted, "She's my best friend."

"I thought I was your best friend?" Zion exclaimed as he looked at Austin in shock, but shortly bursted out a chuckle afterwards.

"You are but Mara's still a little bit better than you." Austin chuckled.

"Yo, Brandon didn't you use to like Mara? Like when we were kids." Nick said as he laughed at the thought.

"Oh, yeah, I guess. I always felt a connection with her, we have a lot in common." I sighed out as I looked at Zion to give him some sort of reassurance, "But of course I'm not going to try anything,"

"What's with the long face?" Edwin asked as he looked at Zion after I said what I said.

"That day that we kissed I knew that I wasn't in love with her," He sighed out, "I knew that we weren't going anywhere. At that time I was just a superhero to her. She hasn't realized it yet, but she isn't in love with me. She was in love with the actions that I did,"

"Then why did you do all of those sweet things, and gestures to her?" I asked him.

"She told me once that she had never felt loved in her whole life. I could relate because I never did either. So i faked it, after all this time I feel like I'm just her big brother, feelings like I should protect her and that was it," he chuckled and looked up at me, "It's up for grabs if anyone wants to take up the opportunity,"

"Do you think she still likes you?" Austin asked.

"I don't know if she still thinks highly of me because of what I did. I hope she doesn't because she's been happier without me dude. She hasn't smiled that much since the day I first talked to her and told her boring jokes."

"She likes being around us." Austin said.

"You know in a sense Mara has made me realize a few things." Austin continued.

"Like what?" I asked

"How isolating myself from you guys wasn't helping me at all. It just made me even crazier. When my parents died I felt numb, but when you guys are around you i don't feel that way anymore." he ran his hands through his hair.

"Even though it's cliche it's true. You guys really did make a difference in my life and I don't regret a single thing, so far." Edwin laughed

Then something fell to the floor, and we all looked over to the door opening and saw a figure running away. The figure dropped some things that looked familiar. I went over to pick it up, and saw a pendant.

"Guys do you recognize this?" I asked as I held it up and heard a small gasp.

"Isn't that Mara's?" Nick asked.

"Yeah, I'm sure of it. I gave it to her." Zion said as he inspected it in his hand.

"Damn, so-" Edwin said as his eyes widened as he started realizing what had happened.

"She heard everything?" Nick asked again.

"She knows that I faked it, ugh crap she probably hates me now." Zion continued as he frustratingly ran his hands across his face and hair,

'She knows that I liked her, now.' I thought as everyone was panicking.

"We have to find her and clear everything up." Edwin said as he grabbed all of his stuff.

"Yeah let's go." I said as we headed out the door quickly rushing off to who knows where.