Chapter 23: A Helping Hand

Brandon's Pov

It was late a night and I was debating whether or not to text Mara. A little while after we began talking their mom made her way over and went into the house to make sure it was really safe. She must've found it safe, and they began going back just before 3 a.m.

Earlier today was weird, I've never really talked about my feelings or opinions to someone other than the regularly scheduled therapy sessions with the school counselor, but seeing her feel so vulnerable, so depressed, created a weirder feeling in my chest. We've never seen behind the doors, except for the stuff that happens in their front yard, we never knew that this was the extent of what they had to go through.

I heard my mom go outside and heard her talking to Ms.Montoya, Mara's mom. After a while of them just talking, she finally left, and I walked downstairs and saw my mom leaning against the door.

"Mom what's wrong? Why did they go home?" I asked as I went over to her.

"I feel bad for the Montoya's, they don't deserve that bastard." She mumbled

"Did he hurt them again?" I was concerned for Mara's safety.

"I honestly don't know if it's from today or last week. I-I just wish that someone would help them, get him away from them, you know." She paused. "Hon the least we can do is help Mara out at school. Treat her nicely please that girl must be in pain." She walked upstairs to her room.

Why does she have to go through this?

Mara's Pov

My mom nodded and got the spare key from the floorboards and walked in.

I saw him passed out on the couch with a movie going.

"Bastard" I mutter under my breath.