Chapter 9: How We Met

I never forgot that day when you gave me a sense of security and love.

I was standing outside because my dad wanted to embarrass me in front of the neighbors.

I looked up to the windows of the other house to see a boy with a bruise on his face and another with slicked back hair and fancy clothes.

My dad yelled out loud which caused them all to come out with their families.

He pushed me into the ground, he kicked 'lightly' as lightly as a brick 'lightly' hitting the floor a foot off of the floor.

"You're nothing to me. You're a mistake,your mother chose me instead of your father. Your father who left you to die alone. So stop hoping for love because you don't deserve to ever feel or appreciate love." He walked back in and slammed the door.

Some people ran up to me, a blonde one, one with glasses and a slightly tanner one.

"Are you okay?" The, then-brunette, one asked as he helped me sit up

I nodded "I'm used to it." I mumbled as I saw my mother walk back into the house, not even bothering to check if one of my ribs or all of my ribs were broken

"That's not cool at all." The tanner one said, "I don't have parents, but I've never seen anyone do that,"

"Yeah, well, welcome to my life," I shrugged out.

"I'm Brandon." The one with glasses points at himself and the two other guys, "This is Austin and Edwin. Nice to meet you."

"Cool" I tried to smile back at them,

"I hope we can be friends!" Edwin said with a cute smile. The other two nodded in agreement, "So that you would have someone to look after you, since no one else is going to anymore,"

"Wait, what's your name?" Brandon asked.

"Mara," I said with my head down. I looked back up and saw all of them with sincere smiles and faces.

"What's with the bruise on your face?" I asked Edwin,

"Oh, this?" he asked pointing at his blue eye, "I broke the rules, and one of the newer caretakers punished me," he sighed out,

"Caretakers?" Austin asked.

"You see that house at the edge of the street?" He asked pointing at the brown, vintage house that had so many floors, "It's called an orphanage,"

"What's an orphanage?" I asked.

"It was where my mommy and daddy left me. They couldn't take care of it, so they had others do it!" He said, despite the sad fact, he still smiled brightly.

"That's sad," I said while pouting slightly.

"It's like my mommy and daddy, they leave me with my aunt when they're on special trips!" Austin said smiling trying to be comforting towards the younger.

"Special trips?" I asked, "It's like when my Dad and sister go on trips too!"

"Just them?"

"Yeah," I sighed out, "He doesn't like me very much,"

"What about you Brandon?" Austin asked.

"My parents are at home, but they are with my sister,"

"You have another you?" Edwin asked,

"Yeah!" He exclaimed, "She is older, and a girl!"

"What's her name?" I asked as by this time we were all still standing in the front lawn.

"Breanne!" He smiled as his little tooth gap was still present.

"That's cool!" Edwin muttered.

Then we met Zion, he was alone on the street as we were walking home from school,

"Hi!" Edwin said brightly, "What's your name?"

"What's it to you?" He scoffed.

"Hey we're being nice." I muttered glaring at him slightly.

"Nice won't get you anywhere,"

"I'm Austin,"

"Brandon,"

"I'm Mara-"

"And I am Edwin!"

He mumbled something that we couldn't hear thus we came closer and said, "Huh?"

"Zion!" He exclaimed, "My name is Zion!"

"Cool!" Austin said.

"You wanna get ice cream with us?" Brandon asked.

"I don't have any money," He muttered.

"I'm sure that we all have some left over to get you a scoop!" I said,

"Yeah we can all get a scoop I'm sure that it will fit!"

"You guys would rather get a small scoop of ice cream for me, rather than a whole cone for yourselves?" He asked as he stood.

"Why not?" I asked.

"You look like you need it," Brandon chuckled.

We all got ice cream that day and we even met Nick who despite being a popular athlete, at our elementary school's little league baseball team, was surprisingly nice enough for us.

For the first time I felt like I finally found people who like me for me. For people who actually don't regret my existence.

But happiness doesn't last forever as they say, everything eventually falls apart.