Chapter 22: Locked Out

Mara's Pov

"Stop," I heard as I started to come to, I looked over, and I saw Issac, my little brother holding up his plastic baseball bat, trying to stand over my body, that was still laying on the floor.

"Don't hurt Mara!" He said as he was glaring at him.

"Buddy, I'm not hurting her, I'm just teaching her a lesson." He tried to sound nice about it, as he came closer and started to grip my hair once again.

"No!" Issac ran and hit him in the nuts. He let his grip on me loose and picked up Issac.

"You little twerp." He was dragging him to our front porch. Once he opened the door he, literally, threw Issac outside the door.

"Issac!" I yelled and ran outside and saw him on the floor clutching his stomach in pain.

"Why, in your right mind, would you throw your son?" Mom yelled while trying to get Issac up.

He just stood with a blank look and slowly closed the door inside.

Mom ran up knocking on the door every knock turning into punches and her breaking down, none of her senses correlating with the situation as she, somehow, still was shocked by the events that happened.

"Jean, why don't you three stay at my house for tonight? It's getting colder out, and I don't think you all would be safe." Our neighbor, Mrs. Arreaga, aka Brandon's mother, asked us.

"Thank You, Celeste it means a lot to us," My mom never really liked getting help from people, she just didn't want to return the favor, but this wasn't the time for her pride as we needed a night to.

We walked into the house next door, after how many years of living here, I've never stepped foot into this hour after Brandon's dad left.

As she shut the door, we were met with Brandon on the couch, as he looked over at us,

"What happened?" He asked as he stood up.

"They had another, dispute, so they will be staying here for a bit until they can safely go back home," Celeste said as she ushered us in,

"Jean, you and Issac can stay in the spare room, and Mara, you can stay in Giselle's old room." She handed us some towels as she guided us upstairs, and got me situated first then left with my sister and little brother.

Brandon stayed for a while before eventually sitting down on the bed, a little bit further away from me, "What happened?" He asked.

"He had another episode," I mumbled, "But this time he hit Issac, and it was just too much,"

"Look, I- I am so sorry that you all have to go through this, but my family and I will always be here for you," He put a hand on my shoulder and he squeezed it gently.

"I appreciate it," I tightly smiled as I turned my head towards him, and we just smiled in silence.