Chapter 15: The Kuwonu's

Zion's Pov

As I began walking into the neighborhood, I realized something. It's true, what he said. Mara's such an amazingly-broken girl. As we all were, we were all different types of broken, some painfully, other pitifully, and some like her amazingly, imperfectly, half-heartedly, broken.

I was just too scared of my own good, and I wasn't able to accept the difference from what I'm experiencing now. It's a whole different world, I went from being alone, and on the streets, not even bothering to care for anyone except myself.

But now I'm here living my best possible life, I had sheets, a bed, my own freaking room! I was put into a new world that I didn't know how to react with.

I was given everything that I was stripped of when I was younger.

I went from not having a mother, to having a whole set of parents, even a brother.

Though we're not related by blood, I've come to realize that love does not need blood to be valid.

I sigh and run my hands through my hair, something that I've been doing a lot lately, as I sat on a random sidewalk near the house, just thinking and processing.

I was stressed, I didn't know what to think, or what to do to make this better.

I stood up and walked back to my new residence, though it was in the same neighborhood I grew up in, the whole atmosphere had changed. It used to be a desolate and empty space, I just couldn't wait to get out of here. But now it's just a place that I found the people who were willing to accept me for me, and I wanted to do the same.

I walked through the door, and saw Mr. Kuwonu, the man who adopted me. He was a tall man, who had a darker feature, he was bald, and always wore the typical dad clothes. He always wore a bright smile the whole time I've met him.

"Hi Zion! How was your day?" he looked up from the newspaper he was reading.

"It was a special one. Very eventful" I started to walk towards the staircase and saw Elom, a boy they adopted shortly after me, he seemed okay, though i haven't talked to him a whole lot. He had the normal quiff, solid black hair, a little bit shorter than I was.

"Hey Elom!" he just waved, and continued walking down the stairs. I sighed once again and went into my room. It was a small room to the naked eye, but to me it was as big as a classroom, I had what a normal boy would have in their room, a single bed, a desk, a bookshelf, and a closet.

I was lucky that I got adopted by the Kuwonu's, they were actually nice. Mrs.Kuwonu, Jess was her name, couldn't have kids of her own, so she's been fostering kids almost all of her adult life. She fostered Elom and I before officially adopting us.

They were the only people that i actually had felt comfortable with in so long, they felt like my family. I guess having the feeling of being with people who care for you, really makes you turn into a person that you never could imagine you could be, even if it's not such a good person.