Chapter 5: Zion's Story

I grew up on the southern side of the town. As usual, people would only assume the worst and think of me as some hoodlum or a disgrace to the town that they called home.

Simple as that.

I had nothing to live for at this point. I had nothing to lose as life seemed to make that clear to myself, and everyone else in the world as well.

I did everything and anything that I could to stay alive, crime was involved, of course, it was, but still somehow managed to go through life without a jail-time conundrum happening.

For a reason unbeknownst to myself.

I went from selling candy, old clothes, drugs, paper, you name it I probably sold it. It was the newest thing on the market to survive for kids like us. I was even a part of an 'ice-pop gang' until the leader got caught for seeing more than ice pops, it had something to do along with organs and the black market but it was quickly resolved.

My parents abandoned me while taking my older brother who went to college and made money off of him being a genius. He was truly gifted in everything he touched. Even if he was older I had always felt otherwise, since he was practically immature at anything aside from learning. Always made me wonder why God had blessed me with a brother that had two different sides of a pinwheel attached to himself. One moment he could be as nice as pie, then the next he could be as crazy as the demon downstairs.

After they ditched they would appear on the radios and tv screens showing off his accomplishments, as their own. Complementing their only son.

Afterward, I didn't trust people. I lost the will to trust after multiple realizations had occurred. I mean, if my real family, my real flesh and blood couldn't even help me, how and why would anyone else. The real world was cruel and I was going to just rot and die. Like the rest of them. As cold as it sounded, it was my truth.

I was forced by the system to go to school. I was with the same people, again and again, nothing was ever-changing. I was content with the ways things were, I was alone, and on my own. Having no one around me to disappoint or hurt me was the only way that I could understand how human interactions worked.

It wasn't until I met them.

They taught me to trust and ambition,

To be something better than myself, to be better than those who let me down,

Not for them, but for myself.