chapter 31

Ruby retracted her hand slowly. "Derrick....I don't think that it is a good idea." Though reluctant, Derrick let go of her hand. "But why? I already said I'm sorry." "Derrick, I can't lie to you but I'm still so hurt about what happened. It is not easy to just forget all of it in one breath and start anew with you." Derrick hung his head, and after sometime he looked at her with sad eyes. "Okay, I understand. I won't pressure you in anything." Ruby smiled in thanks, and again they were lost in thought, each one to their own thoughts.

°°°~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~°°°

That was when Ruby started to feel dizzy. She shook her head to clear the fast approaching fog, but it did not seem to help. Her vision was turning a blurr. She turned to Derrick. "Derrick, I don't think I'm doing so well, I'm feeling dizzy and..."she could not finish the sentence and slumped on his shoulder, unconscious. Derrick looked at her, and even tried to call her and shake her, but she did not wake. He smirked to himself, before taking the phone out and dialed someone. When the other end accepted the call, he said,"take the other damn pictures will you? I am getting tired of playing nice." He hung up and waited moments, before standing up and carrying Ruby bridal style. He took her to her car and after putting her in it, he drove off.

°°°~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~°°°

He had changed his mind half way, and instead of going to his office he went to his apartment. Reaching there without bothering to change, he proceeded to his bar and took out a bottle of whiskey, pouring it in a glass. He drank all the contents in one gulp, cherishing the burning sensation searing a path in his throat. He poured another glass and did the same with it. Only when he reached his third glass did he start drinking slowly. He wanted to completely drown his thoughts about Ruby. Her beautiful red hair, spread on his pillow, her smile, her eyes...in anger he threw the glass towards a wall and it smashed there into small pieces. He went to a cabinet and took another glass.

It was not like he could blame her, they were nothing to each other, and she was free to choose anyone she loved and date. He was just another guy to help her pass time and help forget her ex. He had used a lot girls before, but it hurt so much to be used or taken for granted. But again, he could not blame her. She had chosen who she wanted to love, and it was not him.
The thought made him feel so bitter that he drank gulps of whiskey to drown away the feeling of loss and heartbreak he was currently feeling. He wanted to make sure that he will forget everything about her tonight, even if it meant emptying his whole bar.

°°°~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~°°°

It was weird that she could not reach Ruby. She had been calling her for sometime now. Surely she didn't forget their plans? It was a good thing that Sheena knew where Ruby kept her apartment keys, so she let herself in.
After all the fruitless attempt to call Ruby, she decided to call her sister Jenny. She took the call after two rings. "Hello, Jenny speaking." "Hi Jenny. It's Sheena." "Oh, Sheena, how have you been? How are your studies?" Jenny was always friendly to her, treating her as if treating her real young sister. "Everything is great Jenny." "So how can I help you?" The difficult part was here. "I was wondering if you have heard from Ruby." "Ruby? I haven't seen her all week. Why, is there something wrong?" Sheena heard a hint of worry on Jenny's voice. "No, nothing is wrong. It's just that we had plans and i can't seem to reach her." To smoothen it out she added,"I think maybe she might have forgotten about them and is at a club. Let me try her again." "Uh-, ok. You would let me know if there is something wrong, won't you?" Jenny was not really convinced that everything was alright. If her gut worked as how Sheena's worked, then there really was something wrong with Ruby. "Absolutely."

She had tried to hide it but couldn't convince herself. She took it upon herself and searched Ruby's apartment for an address book. When she got it she quickly looked for Dauph's number, and when she found it, she dialed him.

°°°~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~°°°

Dauph scowled at his phone. Who could be calling him? He had made it clear to his Secretary that he should not be disturbed. It was an unknown number. He hit the ignore button, but it persistently called him three more times. On the third try he decided to take it. "Hello?" His voice was slightly slurred. "Hello, can I speak with Dauph please?" It was an unknown girl voice, which appeared timid. "It's Dauph speaking." "Oh."the girl let out a knowing sigh, before continuing. "Sorry, to disturb you, I am just asking if Ruby is there with you." Dauph removed the phone from his ear, looking at it puzzled. Is it a joke? "May I ask who is talking?" "It's Sheena, Ruby's best friend." Well, of her he knew. Ruby had talked a lot about Sheena, and he had once seen her, at her parents' house during a party. "Sheena, what makes you think that she might be here?" There was a silence, before Sheena talked.

"I know you guys have been going out for sometime now. Not that I'm intruding, but I haven't heard from her since morning. We were supposed to be bonding right now, at her apartment but she is not here. And she didn't let me know she won't be here." Dauph snorted. "She is not here Sheena. Why don't you try her phone and stop bothering me." Dauph was irritated. There was silence on the other end, before she spoke. "I have tried her phone numerous times. She is not reachable." That statement made Dauph remember the pictures. He scowled, even if Sheena could not see him. "Why don't you ask his boyfriend?" "His boyfriend? I don't understand..."before she could finish Dauph cut her off. "Don't give me that bullshit. You know who I'm talking about." "Are you drunk?" Dauph snorted. "What does it have to do with it? I told you to ask her boyfriend." "But I thought..."he cut her off again with irritation. "You thought wrong. Now if you want to find her, call her boyfriend." With that Dauph hung up on her.

°°°~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~°°°

Sheena had tried Derrick's number but it was going straight to voicemail. She didn't know why Dauph would think that Ruby would be with him; after what happened last time, but she had a hunch that he might be on to something. After not reaching him, she tried her last card, calling her father. When he said that she was not there Sheena had no choice but to call Jenny and tell her that Ruby was missing. And Jenny promised to come immediately. Even though he was acting like a brat, Sheena wanted to inform him again.

Dauph heard the ringing of his phone again. He groaned. It must be Sheena again. He took the call to tell her not to disturb him again. "For the last time Sheena, Ruby is not here!!" There was a silence, before she spoke. "I know. It seems that...Ruby is missing." Those words made Dauph's blood chill in his veins. "What do you mean that she is missing?"

°°°~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~°°°

What do you think Derrick is planning with Ruby? Will they find her on time?

I have prepared some lyrics to this song I think will fit. Enjoy!!

Song: African Beauty
Singer: diamond

I'm in love with you,
Nothing I wouldn't do,
Catch a bullet for you,
as long as you love me too.

I'm in love with you,
nothing I wouldn't do,
Catch a grenade for you
as long as you want me too

Penzi ntalipamba ngonjera, huba kama Tanga segera, kwa viuno vya baikoko...kutoka manzabei

(i will decorate love with poems, romance like in Tanga, dancing like baikoko..)