chapter 17

Ruby had parted with Sheena earlier, the later going to help her mother in some household chores. She was currently in her room, wearing her comfort clothes; (which consisted of an old teddy bear pajama top and a denim short), and watching her favourite movie with popcorn on her lap. She heard the knock, in which she frowned. She did not know who it is, and she had no appointment with anyone. Her sister Jenny was out of question, she had a key to her apartment. Besides, her very workaholic sister would be at work. And so was Sheena. The other thought told her it might be Derrick. She stood up and peeked at the peephole.

•°•°•°•

Dauph fought with his decision every step of the way.

He was a fool. A big one.
An overbearing pompous fool.

More than once, he wanted to turn his car around and back to his apartment. When he was able to climb the few stairs to her apartment, he had to walk fast to avoid chickening out. Even when he had stood infront of her door, he couldn't bring himself up to knock the door. He moved his package to his left arm, rubbed his sweating hand on his trouser raising his hand to knock. He knocked once and waited for reply. The few minutes, (which felt more than hours to him really) had him mentally sweating. The door opened just as he was raising his hand to knock again.

And there she was, in all her beauty. She could effortlessly make dirty ugly rags look like the trending fashion. As right now, she had on an old pajama top with short denims, her fiery red hair put in a knot on top of her head. She was looking at him, suprise etched on her beautiful face. "Dauph!"
"Hey there. Missed me?" She was openly gaping at him, taking longer than necessary and making Dauph worried. "Uum-am I not allowed to come in?" This snapped Ruby from her rivery. "Of course not! Please come in." She made way for him and Dauph entered. Her living room was beautifully decorated; vibrant but cool colours were painted on her walls, and simple decorations adorned her living room. In one wall there was a large oil painting of the beach. Currently he was staring at it admiringly. Ruby moved to stand beside him. "Nice right?" Dauph made some agreeable noises, still studying the painting. "My sister bought it for me when I came to live here. She knew my love for art, and she encourages me to draw..." Dauph turned to her. "You can draw?" His mouth was hanging open with amazement, causing Ruby to blush. "Not really, I just dab things here and there..." "can I see them?" "No! It's nothing fancy I tell you. You will just laugh at me." Dauph raised an eyebrow. "Try me." Ruby shrugged her shoulders and left him to disappear in what he thought might be a studio. When she left he kept on looking around. The room had a personal touch that screamed Ruby, she added some very few shiny and flashy things more like her. She came back holding about four rolls of drawing paper. "I warn you, these are like the best I made and they look like crap." She sat beside him and opened one roll.

•°•°•°•

It was of a girl sitting on apparently what was a window, her knees brought to her chest and her hands around them, looking outside at a beautiful view. It was apparently a sunset, as there was a beautiful mingling of colours like the rainbow, and the sun looked like it has no heat at all. The drawing was very detailed, up to the last ray of the sun. When he turned, he found Ruby watching him nervously, wringing her hands and biting her lower lip.
That completely innocent act made Dauph's body react. How he wished he could be the one doing it....

He shook his head to clear it of those erotic thoughts. "Well? How bad is it?" Dauph gaped at her. "Bad? Who said it was bad? It's so awesome!" "You don't have to act all novice and gentlemanly on me. Just tell the truth." "Its the truth Ruby. This painting is so nice, almost as if drawn by Da Vince himself." Ruby shook her head smiling at the joke, before opening another roll.

The other ones were as wonderful as the first one. One showed birds on the sea, fishing for their meals of fish. The picture was so vivid that Dauph could almost hear the birds calling to each other. Another one was of sand dunes, an oasis seen at the distance. The last one was of a woman carrying a baby on her back, and walking in what was apparently a snow storm.

"These...did you draw them yourself?" Ruby nodded. "Wow! They are so nice and detailed....have you ever thought of maybe selling them or showing them in a gallery?" Ruby raised an eyebrow. "Are you kidding me? Show them? These awful drawings will make people stone me." She took the drawings, rolled them again and returned them.

•°•°•°•

"Ooh, before I forget, I have something for you." He gave her the box. Ruby hesistated, before she took it. "Open it." Ruby opened and found a beautiful bowl carved with black ebony, shiny. It has flowered patterns of some sort of animals joined together. "I didn't know what would interest you so I stuck to the safe side." He was nervous. "Its beautiful....but you shouldn't have." She was admiring it at every angle. "Why did you bring me a gift? It's not like we are in any relationship." Dauph shrugged. "When I saw it I thought of you, that's why I bought it. I thought you would find a place to decorate it." Ruby was inwardly amazed at his thoughtfulness. Not many people would buy her things just because they thought she would love it. "Thank you. I love it." Dauph grinned. "You are welcome."

They were talking about different stuffs, when Ruby brought out the courage to ask him. "Why didn't you call me? I waited for your call for three days." "Funny you ask because I was planning to ask you the same thing." Ruby let out a laugh. "You've got to be kidding me! You are the one who are supposed to call." Dauph frowned. "And why is that?" Ruby shrugged, before answering,"I guess it's because you are a guy." "That's plain sexist." "Sexist my foot! Don't you know that's the way of life?" Dauph rolled his eyes playfully. "There is no law that signify that a man has to be the one calling. And besides, I was in Canada the whole three days. I just returned a few hours ago." "You were in Canada?" "Yep." He sounded so cute saying that. "So you returned and instead of resting you came to see me?" That set Dauph nervous again. "Yeah....I had missed you, and I kinda hopped to here your voice on my answering machine...when I found it empty of your voice I just had to see you..." he looked at Ruby, whose face was impassable of any emotion. Before he knew it, she jumped on him and started to kiss him fiercely.

•°•°•°•

Awww...Dauph is so sweet....😀

Anyway, I know I've been kinda quiet. I was so busy with studies and exams, and at any time I opened my account to write, I end up just making a few sentences before I fall down out cold with sleep due to exhaustion.
Sorry guys.

And also I wanted to say, I want atleast to complete one of the books in currently writting to and with the year. It's this one, The Charming redheaded Lady or Across the Storming clouds. Which one should get the honor? Please comment me your answer. I'm waiting for it for about one week from now.

If no answer till then....I guess I just have to struggle to finish both of them, as all are my babies and I just can't choose!

See you next chapter!