chapter 29

"You what?!!" Sheena looked at Ruby with disbelief. Ruby groaned, fell back on her bed and covered her face with a pillow. "Tell me that you did not just say that girlfriend." "As a matter of fact, Sheena, I did." Ruby's voice was muffled. It was Wednesday evening, at Ruby's apartment, having a girls' bonding time. She was telling Sheena what had happened on Saturday. "Honey, you do not tell your current boyfriend about your past relationship, especially how much you liked the guy. It's a big turn-off." Ruby removed the pillow. "He is not my boyfriend Sheena, and besides, he asked me what was wrong, and I told him. What was I supposed to tell him?" Sheena glared at her. "Stop justifying yourself. That was a major meltdown, and it is unusual of you. You could have just pretended to be on your periods and be done." Ruby glared at her. "He knows when i have my periods." Sheena's eyes got wide open. "When??" Ruby face palmed herself for letting slip that juicy information to Sheena, as she would squeeze every word out of her. Now she had the unwanted privilege of telling her the sleepover at Dauph's house the last time. "Damn girl, a sweet guy does all of those things and you are not aiming to snatch him up? With all the sharks out there? Girl are you insane?" Ruby just shook her head in resignment. "It's not that simple Sheena." Sheena fixed her with her famous eye. "A guy invites you over, is over protective of you, handles you gently like a baby, buys you gifts, what else do you want Ruby? A message from up high?" Ruby didn't answer Sheena, because deep down into her heart she knew it was true.

Suddenly her phone rang. Looking at the caller, she frowned, then hit the reject button before turning it upside down. It happened twice again. Sheena frowned, "why aren't you taking the call? It could be important." It had rung again, and Ruby was silencing it. "Because-"she hit the reject button, "-it is Derrick." She now made her phone in silence mode, hating it because she had been waiting for Dauph's call since Saturday and now might miss it. Not that she was going to admit it to Sheena of course. The later frowned. "What does he want? After what he did to you, he still calls you?" Ruby sighed. "And I'm not going to take the call anytime soon, I might as well just block him." She picked her phone, rejected his call again, and set on blocking his contact.

^^***^^

Dauph was working late again, snappy as usual. He heard a knock, and answered impatiently to come in. It was his friend Mike. Before he had even got in properly Dauph snapped. "What do you want Mike? I'm busy." Mike's brow jutted up, and smiled. "Wow, now that's a warm welcome." Dauph scowled. "I'm busy. If you wanted something you could have called." Mike went and sat infront of his table on a chair. "What's up Dauph? We both know there is something bothering you?" Dauph again scowled his signature scowl. "I'm fine, and busy, as you can see!!" Mike tutted. "You are your charming self I can see, and you are smashing phones as your usual before, and making your precious employees crying. So, wanna talk about it?" As usual, Dauph scowled. "Nothing is wrong. Let me work, I have alot to do." Mike made himself at home. "I'm not going anywhere until you tell me what's wrong. I'm your friend and I'm supposed to listen to you. So, you might as well continue working and I'll continue bothering you."

Dauph let a long exhale. "It's about Ruby." Mike, who had stood up to his friend's mini bar and pour himself some scotch, was stuck speechless. "That hot red head?" Dauph nodded. Mike poured a second glass of scotch and went to handle his friend one glass. "You might as well tell me from the beginning."

After their third glass and alot of words, Dauph was feeling more comfortable to talk. They were seating on the couch with the scotch on the table before them. "So tell me Mike, how am I to compete with that? With an ex she still remembers, and maybe posibly loves?" Mike looked at his friend. "For an intelligent mogul of the business world, you are pretty clueless when it comes to women." "How so?" "That girl likes you, but she is confused. She likes you but she does not want to get hurt again. She is trying to pass you the message that she wishes it never happens." Dauph scowled. "Why doesn't she just say that out straight? So that we can understand?" Mike snorted. "Being non-understandable is their life. That my friend, is a fact of being a woman." They toasted each other and drank away.

^^***^^

"The b*tch is not picking up!!"Derrick said furiously. The woman, dressed in a robe, stretched on the couch like a cat, turned to him. "Patience, Derrick. You need patience, and also you need to make her trust you for our plan to work out. Now come here, lover boy." She drew him into a crazy craving kiss that left him disoriented. She smirked to herself. All of this was to make him do her bindings all the more without questions. "Now...you will get what you want; even me, when all of this falls through, right darling?" Derrick's eyes eyed her lustfully, and went to call Ruby again.
"Remember, act  like you are sorry, like you are regretting what you did to her."

^^***^^

Seeing that he couldn't reach her cell phone now, he spammed her home phone with voice messages. "Ruby, please talk to me." "Ruby I really need to talk to you." "I'm sorry for what happened. Can we talk?" "I'm terribly sorry. Please talk to me." "I really regret what I did to you. Please talk to me." "Ruby I'm sorry." "Please let's talk. I promise I won't bother you again. Ever." The last voicemail made her take his call.

"What do you want Derrick?" "Ruby...thank you for taking the call." Ruby was still mad at him. "You have less than one minute to tell me what you want, after that don't call or leave any kinds of messages on my phone. Understand?" "Yes I do." "Now talk." There was silence, before he started talking.

"I'm really sorry for what I did Ruby. I was drunk and confused, I didn't want to see the girl I really liked date another guy. I was hurt, but now I realize it was the worst thing I ever did to you. Please forgive me for everything I did to you, and all the times that I hurt you." Against her better judgement, Ruby started feeling sorry for him. "It's okay, I forgive you, but it does not mean that I want to forget all of that and start anew. It was very traumatic to me." "That's why I'm sorry, Ruby. Deeply sorry." "It's okay." There was silence in the other end, before he talked again. "I want to see you one last time Ruby." "I don't think that it is a good idea Derrick..." "Please Ruby. It's for the last time. I will not bother you again. Please. For old times sake." Against her better judgement, she agreed. It was some part of her that had loved him once and still wanted to see the best in him. The best that he had been when she had fallen for him then. "Okay,"she said finally. "Let's meet on Friday."

^^***^^

Is someone else having a bad feeling about the meeting? I'm having goosebumps just thinking about it.😨😨

Let's hope for the best. See you next chapter!!