chapter 25

Well, she has it now certified that she was crazy. Not just a little, but totally, and absolutely voodoo.

She was on her way to meet someone she did not know, who might probably be a psychopath, or much worse; a murderer, and all because she heard the name Dauph mentioned. There could be plenty of Dauph's out there...but the nagging feeling that it was her Dauph was the one plaguing her.
Her Dauph.
She smiled to herself. She had it really bad.

She was currently in a bus going to the designated place of meeting. Just after Sheena had left, she picked up her handbag and phone, and left her apartment before she could change her mind. Her watch said that it was half past seven, and she was about 20 minutes from the place. She still had time to spare.

***

She found the place without any difficulty. It was just a two minutes walk from the bus stop. She walked and entered the small cafe.

It was a small cafe, warm and smelled of coffee and buns, giving it a cozy and homey feeling. There were few people inside, about ten people, who were chatting to each other. It looked like a cafe frequented by locals, and Ruby looked for an empty table by the window, in a place where she could clearly see anyone entering or leaving the cafe. As soon as she had taken a seat, a middle aged woman with a smilling face came to take her order.
"Hellow there! What can I help you with?" Ruby smiled up at her. "A cappuccino will be lovely thank you." "That's a wise choice. You would love what Rob brews. I'll get you one right away." Ruby looked around as she was waiting for her coffee. There was no one looking suspious so she assumed the person had not arrived yet. She got her order and sniffed at it. It smelled heavenly, a mixture of some sweet smelling spices. She took a sip and nearly moaned with pleasure. It tasted heavenly, much like nothing she ever tasted before. At exactly eight o'clock the door opened and a heavily overdressed lady entered. She had on a wide black posh hat complete with silky feathers, black eye glasses, a black dress reaching her knees, black ankle-length boots and a black bag with black gloves, an outfit more suited for a daytime outdoor funeral. She was drawing curious gazes as she made her way to Ruby, obvious or actually ignoring all the attention she was drawing for herself.

She sat on a seat infront of Ruby without invitation. "I see you were before time. I love punctual people, especially when i flip my fingers." Then she gave Ruby a fake sugary smile that made Ruby feel sick to her stomach. The woman was infuriating, but she was right, just one call and Ruby was here, like a trained dog. "What do you want??" The woman took her time. She slowly removed her glasses, placed them on the table, followed by her gloves. "Do you remember me?"she asked Ruby, the latter looking at her carefully. Ooh, she did remember her now.

***

She was just as lovely as usual, her smooth flawless ivory skin, beautiful pale blue eyes, sharp features and high cheekbones, slim figure and silver blonde hair. But she was still a bitch as she was before, judging for what she talked next. "I think you remember me now. When I saw you that day,"she paused briefly to run her eyes from the top of Ruby's head, face, chest up to where the table hid her, and with a sneer continued,"I never pegged you as a kind of competition. You were ordinary....so not Dauph's type. So maybe that's how you attracted him, you were different." Ruby was seething with anger, but chose not to open her mouth. The pretty Camilla went on. "I know you have been seeing him recently. Now I'm asking you nicely, stay away from him. He and I, we are close, and he is about to get engaged. To me." Ruby let out a sharp laugh. "If he was yours, then you are not keeping a tight holding on him then. Or, he got bored of you." Camilla's smilling face fell, giving out an ugly look of fury before quickly covering it up. "Darling don't think too much of the attention he is giving you. You are still new to him, but soon he will come back to me. If you don't believe me let me ask you. Have you been to his country house? Or met his family? Or even officially introducing you as his girlfriend?" On Ruby's lack of response she gave her a self-satisfied smile. "I thought so too. Only those he holds dear does he bring them to his country house or meet his family, or go out public with them, and I have." Camilla collected her stuff and put them in her bag, as a sign of conversation going to a close. "Think about it honey, before getting yourself into something. That man is mine, rightfully mine and you are just intruding." She got up and left Ruby, who was looking at her.

***

Ruby was still trying to process everything Camilla said. The lady wasn't so far off from what she had been asking herself, that is, what she meant to Dauph. Was she just an easy lay? But all he did to her...the dates and fun times, plus he never asked her to specifically sleep with him...it had just happened....so he might not be thinking of her that way....

But he hasn't asked you to be his girlfriend yet....or even go public with you...

An inner voice was confusing her more, and she was running her finger around the coffee cup. "Are you alright dear?" The voice shook her from her riverie. It was the kind hostess lady looking at her. Ruby nodded, not trusting herself to speak. "That lady looked scary and i had a cold feeling crawling up my skin the moment she entered." She looked at her sympathetically before saying,"do you need another cup of coffee?" Ruby nooded to her gratefully and she left, coming back with a pot and a saucer with a nice smelling bun. When she started to protest the woman waved away. "Its on the house. It will make you feel better, trust me. Plus it goes well with the cappuccino."

Ruby took a bite and smiled to herself. It was tasty, and went well with the coffee. She ate the whole bun and it amaizingly made her feel great.

***

She was leaving the cafe when her phone rang. Taking it out of her handbag she could feel a lump being stuck on her throat. Her hand hovered around the accept button, not deciding whether to accept it or reject it. She could feel her heart hammering away on her chest, as if it wants to go out.

***

Anyone can guess who it is??? ☺

I got two shillings and ninety cents😆😆

Let's go next chapter and find out who is specifically making Ruby's heart go into an overdrive...