chapter 12

Sheena didn't come to class for the whole week. Ruby tried calling and texting her multiple times, without response. She wanted to go to her house, but couldn't risk Sheena's mom knowing their argument, especially when it involved a guy. Sheena's parents made it absolutely known that Sheena can't date until she is somehow 23. And they made sure of that.

On Thursday Sheena's mom called Ruby. "Hello." "Hello Ruby. How are you?" "I'm fine Mrs. Kadeen. How are things?" "Ooh, they are fine. I'm sorry to call you before forewarning. I don't know if Sheena remembered to tell you, but this Saturday is our 25th annivessary of my wedding. I'd really love if you'd come." "Don't worry Mrs. Kadeen. I will be there. I thing it just slipped out of Sheena's mind to tell me. Where will the reception be?" "At Tree Stop from 6." "Ooh...okey Mrs. Kadeen." "Okey...."there was a slight pause, before she continued. "Speaking of Sheena...i was wondering if you knew what is wrong with her." Ruby had suspected this was the real reason for Sheena's mom to call her. "What do you mean Mrs. Kadeen?" Ruby feigned ignorance. "Well, you are her best friend, so you might know what is wrong with her. She has been so moody and depressed these few days, not counting not going to college. It is really not her." "Well, i don't really know what is wrong with her, but i'll try talking to her." "Really? I'd be happy if you will do that. I just hope it is not about a boy....God knows she is so young herself...." Ruby crossed her fingers so that Mrs. Kadeen will not push the boy matter further. She was really not going to explain if she asks. "Anyway, you must come on Saturday. I'll be expecting you." "Don't worry, i'll be there." "I have to go. Bye Ruby." "Bye Mrs. Kadeen." Ruby waited for the hang up voice before she let out the breath she had been holding. It was a close one.

~~~¤~~~

Saturday came, and Ruby got ready to go. She reached the reception area and was shown where to sit. Mr.and Mrs. Kadeen introduced her to a few friends and collegues from work, and after polite conversations she excused herself. She was looking for Sheena, and had caught a glimpse of her, but Sheena was intentionally avoiding her and putting as much distance between them as possible.

She finally saw Sheena heading for the restroom, and seized her chance. She headed there too to try and talk to Sheena.

~~~¤~~~

She entered the restroom and waited for Sheena at the sinks. Sheena came out of one of the cubicles, but stopped cold on her tracks when she saw Ruby. She narrowed her eyes, then moved to the sinks, where she pretended to busy herself with washing her hands. "Sheena..." Sheena did not turn towards her, but asked,"what are you doing here Ruby?" "I want to talk to you Sheena." Sheena turned at her. "I have nothing to say to you." "Well, i have. So please listen to me." Sheena narrowed her eyes. "Stop it Ruby! Why are you still keeping up the act? How much more do you want to hurt me? Will you just let me grieve in peace? Please?" "But...." Sheena didn't let her finish, as she fled the washroom.

Ruby felt her eyes brimming with tears. She blinked them away. She didn't ever think that one day she and Sheena will be this type if enemies. Sure, they had had plenty of girly arguments, but never once had it been to the extent of hating and avoiding each other. And it was driving her crazy. She wiped away a lone tear that had escaped the cavity of the eyes. She needed to cool down. She hurriedly got out of the washroom.

She soon found the balcony she had wished to hide away to. It was expansive, with two chairs with a table at the side, a railing for protection, potted plants, and a nice view to the ocean, which was beautifully shining due to the bright moonlight. It was just perfect for her. Plus she was alone. She leaned on the railing, sipping her champagne slowly, gazing at the sky, the music of the party muffed. She was so lost in her thoughts that she didn't hear the door being opened, or the footsteps that were heading towards her. Only the voice pulled her from her thoughts. "Why is a beautiful lady like you sitting here outside alone, when there is music and fun inside?" She sharply turned. Who she saw made her heart do a flip-flop.