chapter 30

Friday came and Ruby dragged herself out of bed and sat when her alarm rang at half past six. She was feeling miserable; she had not heard from Dauph since Saturday, and it was a long day for her in college today; periods jammed up until three. She didn't feel like meeting Derrick today, but she had no choice. She had promised him.

She dragged herself from the bed to prepare for college. Half an hour later she took her car and drove to college. Half past three in the afternoon she was back at her place, her day was over, and in her state, she hadn't understood half of what was taught. She had promised to meet Derrick at five, so she had some time to catch some much needed sleep before going to meet him.

***   ***   ***

Mike entered into Dauph's office, without even knocking. "Well?" Dauph looked up at him, puzzled. "Well what?" Mike rolled his eyes, before sitting infront of his table. "Have you called her yet?" Still clueless, Dauph asked again. "Called who?" "Are you really that clueless? Ok, have you called Ruby yet?" Dauph shrugged, his eyes back to files on his table. "Call her and say what exactly? There is nothing to say." Mike looked at him with disbelief. "Are you crazy? You have to tell her how you feel." Dauph paused, before looking at Mike. "I can't tell her that Mike. I don't know how she feels about me, I might just scare her off. I'm comfortable with what we have, and I don't want to loose it anytime soon." Mike snorted. "What exactly is it that you two have? Friends for benefits? Lovers? Sex partners?" Dauph closed his eyes momentarily, before opening them. "Mike...I can't. Whatever we have its precious to me. Besides, she hasn't called me yet, so I don't know if she is ready to talk to me or not." Mike shook his head in resignment. "You my friend, you don't know what you have and how important it is. You need to know your feelings, and I hope you get out of that shell of yours before you loose her for good." After saying that Mike rose up and left without another word, leaving Dauph to ponder on his own about his friend's words.

Half an hour later his phone rang. He picked up. "Dauph speaking." "Hi little brother!" It was Phina. Despite himself, he smiled. "Hi Phina. How is Africa treating you?" "Its damn hot, awful humidity, but I'm not complaining. It could be worse."

Yep. Typically his sister.

"So what's up brother?" "Everything is cool. Just boring office work that you escaped from." Phina laughed, her voice warming up his heart. "No brother, that was your specialty. Not even mom and dad could stay there and make it work!" Dauph laughed together with her. It was well known that the Smith family loved traveling, with the exception of him. In his defense, he always tells them he is not traveling so that he could be able to finance their expensive life style. "So...have you told her yet?" "Tell who what?" "Have you told Ruby that you love her?" "What are you talking about Phina?" "Oh, don't play me stupid. I know how you feel about her." Dauph groaned. "Not you too Phina! Did Mike set you up at it? Because if he did-" Phina snorted. "No one set me up because I saw you, and I know that you love her. And she loves you too, so why are you two both playing hard to get? You two lovebirds are making me mad!" "Phina, how do you know that she loves me too? She has never shown me any signs." Phina snorted. "You are totally blind bro. Tell her, before she gives up waiting for you to tell her your feelings and moves on. Then you will regret loosing this moment which you could have come clean to her about your feelings." With those oh-mighty wise words from Phina, they dropped the subject and talked about other things.
Long after, they hung up, but Dauph had already decided what to do. He took his jacket and car keys. There was somewhere he needed to be.

***   ***   ***

Ruby woke up refreshed. She took a bath and put on jeans and a t-shirt. She applied some balm to her lips and left, closing her apartment door. She took her car and left for the park.

Twenty minutes she arrived there, and it was already three minutes past five. Derrick was already there, and he smiled when he saw her. He stood up when she approached him, looking nervous. "Hi." "Hi." "So..have You been waiting here long?" Derrick shook his head. "No, I just arrived." Ruby nodded. Derrick signaled her to seat on the iron bench, before sitting himself. The bench was at a secluded part of the park, in reality about outside the park, overlooking the ocean. It used to be their favorite part of the part when they were still in high school; it provided abundant privacy for them to make out without anybody disturbing them. And today, he wanted as much privacy as possible.
When they sat there a spell of silence passed, each occupant of the bench looking out at the ocean lost in thought. It was Ruby who broke the silence. Turning to him, she asked,"so why did you want to see me?" Without answering he took out two cans of juice and handed one to Ruby. Ruby took the can, opened it and absent minded took a swig. "I just wanted to say sorry for everything I did back then. I was stupid and crazy and i took you for granted." Ruby didn't answer, continued sipping to allow him to say all the words he had. "I was crazy, college made me do crazy things and in turn, I hurted you so much. I can't say how much I regretted doing that to you. I'm so sorry." He looked deeply sad as he said this, his shoulders hunched down in defeat. Despite herself, Ruby was touched with his sincereness. She rose her hand and run it through Derrick's back then hair in consolation. She had always liked doing that, so it was just like a reflex. "I forgave you a long time ago Derrick. So don't beat yourself over it." Derrick had stilled under her hand. After some time Ruby retreated her hand. There Derrick took her hand in his both hands. "I know I have lost you forever. Will you at least be my friend?" Ruby looked at him, unable to look away by the intensity of his look.

***   ***   ***

Dauph had passed through a florist and now was holding a bountiful bunch of beautiful red roses with a single white rose in the middle. He was on his way to see Ruby, when his phone pinged, alerting that a message had been sent. He took a look and his blood turned cold. The message was written, "look how the girl you are crazy in love still loves her ex boyfriend. Are you really this desperate?" With the message was attached photos. When he downloaded them, he felt as if a bucket of cold water had been emptied on him. The pictures showed Ruby and what seemed like her ex, hugging each other. Another was them on a bench together. Another picture showed Ruby with her hand in his hair. Another was of the two of them facing each other, with Ruby's hand being held by the other guy. They were looking so intensely at each other, completely captured. The two last pictures....they are the ones that made Dauph fell disappointed. There was nothing that he could do now. He already knew where her heart stood, and it was not by him. He made a U-turn and made to return to his office. There was no point of going to see her anymore.

***   ***   ***

What do you think about Dauph? Did he really loose Ruby? Is it a goodbye about them?

What about Ruby? Did she did do the right thing seeing Derrick?

And Derrick, do you guys think he is sincere with his apology? Should Ruby give him a chance?