A Day Full Of Surprises

It felt like the world had stopped. The birds were quiet, the wind had stopped, and I felt all eyes on me.

I had only seen pictures of this woman. I shared no memories with her because she left so early in my life. My dad never mentioned her, my grandparents didn't talk about her; all I know is she gave birth to me and that's it.

"Mom?" My heart felt like it was gonna burst out of my chest.

"You've grown so much," my mom gasped.

"Yeah well that's what happens," I shrugged.

"Can we talk?" I heard her ask. I felt a presence behind me, and heard my boyfriend's heaving breathing in my ear.

"You don't have to do this," he whispered.

"I haven't seen her," I whispered back.

"Ten minutes then I'm coming to get it," Justin warned. I nodded and walked over to my mom. Not acknowledging her, I nudged past her and kept walking to my front yard. I heard Chaos and his nails click alongside me.

I couldn't believe it. My mom was here. I hadn't seen her since she left us when I was six. I can't help but wonder; why? Why now?

I walked over to a tree that hovered over our front yard, sitting on a bench beneath in it. My mom sat on the other side, and Chaos roamed close by.

It was awkwardly quiet between us. I was hoping that we could just start talking, but what's there to talk about. Does she want me to catch her up on the last twelve years of my life?

"You look good," my mom broke the silence.

"Thanks," I shot her a grin, but it was forced. This was beyond awkward. I placed two hands on top of my stomach and my mom looked down.

"When are you due?" she asked.

"A couple days," I smiled warmly at my belly.

"Do you know what you're having?"

"No, Justin and I wanted to be surprised," I told her.

"Oh, you're dating Justin?"

Uh, duh, I thought to myself. It's been plastered across every magazine, newspaper, and T.V. screen for the last nine months.

"Yeah." Again with the awkward silence. I went to open my mouth, but saw my mom went to do the same.

"You go ahead," she told me.

"Why are you here?" I finally asked. This was eating me alive. "You left me when I was six, but now you decide to pop up in my life again?"

"I know; I'm sorry for ever leaving you," my mom reached out to touch my hand, but I jerked back. "I meant to reconnect a long time ago, but I just-"

"You what?" I asked. "You wanted to get to know your own daughter. The one who you left when she was six? I was six and you left me!"

"I never should've done that. Leaving you was dumb," she said.

"Then why are you here?"

"I feel bad asking..." she tapered off and looked down at the ground.

"She asked you why you were here," I heard my boyfriend's stern voice behind me. I whipped my head around and saw him hovering over me. "Answer her."

The woman sitting in front of me looked petrified. I felt kinda bad about how me and Justin were acting, but seriously. She can't just walk back into my life and think everything will be the same. Hell no.