Found ((Chapter 17))

***Alaire's POV***

"The thing you gave up... was that really okay for you?"

Her smile was wiped off her face as soon as I finished talking. She looked like she was deliberating whether to tell me or not. She sighed as she rubbed her temples.

"It's a choice I will never regret," she finally said.

That was indirect.

"Don't you think that was too much?" I asked, remembering that loathsome situation. I really wanted to forget that, but somehow, it stuck in my head like the shame was imprinted on my brain tissues.

"You don't understand how Etlecope's system works..." She shook her head. "He does his job as honestly as possible. Honesty is a REQUIRED trait in his trade. Do you know why?"

Of course. Somehow, I feel like a dupe, but I let that pass.

"You're talking like it's not my trade too. Ouch. That hurts." I said in mock chagrin. "I'm an informer too you know... it's just that that guy has more connections than mine."

I looked away, hiding my discomfort, and saw that we were already nearing the capital. The great temples and tall towers were still silhouettes, but they were visible. I couple more hours and we're entering the den of lions. Deftly, I pushed my magic further out to expand the size and the capacity of our barrier. Ab knew it too, so she quietly contemplated on the plans beside me, marking the scroll maps.

"What he does is different," she whispered to herself, finally breaking the awkward silence.

"What?" I asked, surprised.

"To you, you gather information from others then assess them. You can also scout the information yourself. But he is different." She eyed me with serenity. "He needs to maintain EQUALLITY. He gives, he gains. If the information he gives is too much or lesser than what it necessary, it will hurt him. Or rather, it will hurt his Fate. It will cause him problems."

"How did you know?" I asked in disbelief. How can she know so much? Deep down, it hurts my pride. Am I really the informer here? How can I be so ignorant?

"Cheer up, Ali." She held my face. She gave me a faint smile and patted my shoulders. Dang, why do I always forget she can sense others emotions? Is it because she looked different?

"Yeah, yeah.."

*****

"Hey, Ali. Can you check whether you can find Yhuelle?"

"I'll try," I replied rather eagerly. This is what I'm aching for. Action. Pure hardcore.

I tapped my magic pool within, feeling the pulsing flow of energy from my core to my skin. Pulling it from my mind, I spread my awareness all throughout the southern part of our largest city, Fangvard. Balls of light flickered everywhere. I can taste the flavour of life from every organism under my remote sensing spell. Hundreds of people were now under my watch. I can see everything. How they move, what they say... All of them doing different things at once, making my head as busy as a swarm of bees.

Only a few seconds have passed, yet I can't stop my fists for shaking. Beads of sweat trickled down my nape, although tonight was awfully cold. The huge area I'm covering used too much of my strength. I can feel my power shrinking, shrinking...

"Don't push yourself too much." I felt her hand on my shoulders. Suddenly, everything was brilliant. I felt warm, her magic flowing all throughout my body. I can feel her. She was everywhere. I feel renewed at once. I think my magic increased for a tenfold. But I knew this was only momentary, so I immediately started my search. I expanded my search, slowly inching the area.

I've sensed familiar presences. The Castells, my family, the palace people, my friends from outside, but the one I'm searching for is not around. My mind snapped back to y body.

I gritted my teeth in pain

"What happened?" I heard fear and alarm in her voice. Her fragile arms tried to pull me up from writhing on the ground. "Ali!"

"I'm... fine now..." I managed to say a minute later. She brought me a cup of water and a basket of breads. I quenched my parched throat at once.

"Really. You're not okay!"

Her features were all telling me she's pretty agitated. She was trembling.

"I am all fine," I explained to her. "It was just that when the Alphas noticed my spell, they started attacking and stabbing my awareness. I barely noticed it, but when I returned back, that was when I felt all of those."

"God, why are you so reckless!" she hissed.

"Come on, Nancy." I stood up and approached her. I pulled her up too and started walking. "Let's visit the northern part of the capital." And try our luck over there.

***Nancy's POV***

I allowed myself to be pulled according to Alaire's pace. He knew what he's doing. As we marched towards the opposite side of the city, I realized that so much had changed here.

I looked around, seeing the difference of this city from the city Fangvard was a year ago. Things have improved.

The streets were full of people. New stores have been built. The civilians won't need to worry about their safety. Things are in their proper order.

The people were now laughing, unlike when I first came here a year ago. I thought then that this city was hollow and haunted.

But everything will be sacrificed. All because of me.

I was spacing out when suddenly, Alaire strode faster.

"I found him!"

My eyes widened at the big news. I ran with him, avoiding the pedestrians while not causing any damage to the street. I can feel my blood leaving my body, my heart pounding so hard in my chest that I wonder why it's not exploding.

Yhuelle, we're coming now.