Rush ((Chapter 18))

*** Nancy's POV***

Yhuelle.

Yhuelle.

Only his name echoed in my head. I can't think straight, I can't hear anything else. Nothing. Everything felt unreal to me. All I did was to run, but I wasn't running for my life. It was to save someone else's. Someone else who is dearer to me than my own life. My life meant little for me. It was all for him. My most important one. My existence.

My breathing was in the form of short gasps. I don't care, not really. Even though my lungs were aching for more air, and my chest was hurting from the sudden dash, I won't stop. If only it can make me run faster, even if I don't breathe, I won't mind. What I was afraid of was the thought that my legs would fail me. I need to run faster. I don't have much time...

*****

When we were a few streets near the Lumnus Palace, a group of Castells surprised us.

An ambush.

It was a twenty-versus-two battle. They obviously had the upper hand, but that didn't daunt us.

"Ab! Proceed to the third plan. Hurry!" Ali ordered me as he put out three soldiers.

"But Ali - " I dodged an electric attack from the burly Castell behind me and kicked him in the gut.

"You devised those damned plans! Follow them, shit." One clever soldier managed to injure his right arm. "Go save that bastard! Make sure he comes back. I'm itching to give him a good beating."

God, of all times, a joke? Doesn't he realize how grave our situation is?

If the Alphas learned of this, we can't make it out unscathed. In fact, we can't make it out. They will join in this fight, and that will be the end.

"Follow me when you're done." I squeezed his hand as tightly as I can manage for a split second. I can't predict the outcome of our fight. But I will do my best. "Promise me."

"Just go."

I saw sadness flickered in his eyes, replaced by the light of determination. His silly grin never left his face but I knew the sacrifice he's making.

He is giving me up. Protecting the one you love who loves another by acting tough.

He probably forgot again that I can feel his emotions. I can feel his pain, like it was exactly mine.

I nodded to him and fled away.

I entered the palace grounds and found the Sacred Marin, the holy tree of our world. I touched its bark and drew the symbol of the House of Leone with my own blood. I chanted an immediate time-space warping spell and disappeared, not knowing whether I will see the black - haired man with beautiful amber and blue irises again.

*****

I landed inside the Tunnel of Secklusio, the ancient underground cave under Fangvard. I knew this place so well, since this was created by my House hundreds of years ago. This place was a secret passed down to me by my older brother, even though I wasn't allowed to know. This was the place where he hid me, to save me from getting killed.

This was the safest and quickest path I can think of. The downside of taking this way was its nullifying powers. I couldn't use any magic or spell in here. Everything will be removed.

Now, I can't sense Ali's situation.

I temporarily lost my sensing abilities. I wouldn't know if one's nearby.

I couldn't make myself go faster.

And I returned to my original form.

Everyone who sees me right now will undoubtedly recognize me.

To the majority, I'll be Yolan Rynvard, the youngest Alpha.

And for the Elders and my fellow Alphas, I'll be Abrielle vi Saccharin Leone, the next Core of Celes.

A major problem, since the nullifying effects of this tunnel won't fade at once. It will take a person at least an hour to recover his powers, once he left the tunnel.

But I don't have a choice. Yhuelle's in danger. I need to get to him before they leave the capital. Once he reached the city of Castilio, it's game over.

I have a gist on what was Sir Rolan's errand. I know how his superior, Lord Embry's mind works.

Aside from taking him hostage to lure me out, he had other plans. I've felt it in his heart before. He will blame him for my disappearance, making Yhuelle a criminal. Since Yhuelle's a royalty, they will not harm him physically. But they will ruin his mind until he was no longer suited for the position of Mage Lord.

Then, he will take me and proclaim me as the Core to the people, weaving lies and beliefs so that he will receive the credit for saving Celes.

I ABSOLUTELY won't permit that. Never.

Finally, I reached the end of the cave. I stopped at once and caught my breath, trying to relax my twisted and overstretched muscles. I stared at the huge boulder, about fifteen feet tall, that was blocking the exit. I turned around.

Where is Ali?

Didn't he follow?

"Alaire!" I shouted back to the insides of the cave. I heard my voice echoed several times, but no one replied. "Answer me, Ali!"

I fell to my knees as my body trembled. This is exactly what I feared.

Maybe I should run back. I don't want to leave Ali alone. If we were together, we can easily fight off the Castells. I took a step and stopped short.

I can't. If I do that, it would be a betrayal. Yhuelle needed me now. I came here for him. He was just a spell away from me. But if I go to him, it means I will have to leave Ali. It would be final.

I wouldn't find the strength to choose Ali over Yhuelle. I was so sure of it. How come I'm hesitating now? Have my feelings changed for Yhuelle?

"Alaire, hurry up," I whispered to the shadows.

I felt my chest aching, as if my heart was breaking into tiny splinters. It was a physical pain.

I believed all along that my feelings for Yhuelle were strong enough, that he was all I need. I thought as long as I have Yhuelle, I don't care for anyone else. I never doubted it. Right now, I'm torn between two choices.

To whom should I go?

I heard laughter behind me, and as I turned around, I saw a tall lanky man in a white robe.

"Did you like my present, Lady Abrielle?"

My jaw clenched. It was Lord Embry.

*** Yhuelle's POV***

I was drifting in and out.

So dark.

So bright.

I resurfaced.

I drowned.

It was painful, but at the same time, it felt heavenly. Intoxicating...

"Get a grip, Sir Argout."

How very formal.

Wait. I thought I was alone. Who was that?

" @%#*! You shitty dickhead! Don't let your moronic ass dare fuckin' lose..." This time, a female voice entered my head.

How many expletives was that? I wondered.

"Follow me," the first voice said.

Where are you? I can't see.

"Follow my voice."

I took a step forward, and everything exploded. The walls around my mind shattered into tiny shards, piercing my thoughts and consciousness. My whole world was losing its meaning...

"Argout!"