Search ((Chapter 13))

*** Nancy's POV ***

I tapped my fingers impatiently as I waited for Ali to make up his mind. I sighed as I lost count of how many minutes have passed. I looked around, unconsciously chewing my lower lip again. Almost everyone's up now. I could hear the noisy stirrings inside their homes. With a merchant city as busy as Orrin, people would surely be in the streets any minute now. I remembered how I dealt with such a huge crowd before. I winced. It wasn't a pleasant experience.

Dear Spirits, aren't we in a hurry?

"Hey, look here Ali..." I barely managed to spit the words out when he waved his hands to silence me. Oh great. What am I now, a fly?

"I know the entrance to his place is around this area," he said. Furiously, I yanked him from the main street towards a smaller one.

"Have you heard why he's called Shadow?" I asked with annoyance. I paused and turned to face him.

"Er, no." he replied, confused.

"It's because he's hard to find. He changes location like what, three times a day!" I balled my fists. "How can you drag me here without knowing that? He can be up in the North or who knows where!"

"Hey, calm down Ab, I mean Nancy. Getting mad won't help either."

I let out a big puff of air. "You're right. Sorry."

"You better work hard on your temper issues," he laughed and I was clearly not buying it.

In the end, we decided that to find Razi Etlecope, we needed to separate. He had gone off somewhere at once, clearly going to some informer friend of his.

As for me, I went straight to a nearby inn and ordered myself water. I sat there, trying to hear each conversation from the men.

No luck.

I left after an hour, and went to a silent grove to contemplate. When I last met Razi Etlecope, I was with Yhuelle. That was during the time when we were investigating Fard Argout's death. He left me while I was sleeping. What I did then was to disguise myself as a cat and followed Yhuelle's scent.

How did he know where to find him?

If I use the same trick, would it work again? Maybe. But the problem was that I didn't know Etlecope's scent.

*** Alaire's POV ***

"Sorry, Sir Alaire. I really can't help you about that. Shadow's really careful about his movements. He never leaves a trace."

He's the tenth one I've asked. And the last contact I have.

Damn, what kind of informers were they? How could they not know that? I mean, yeah, Shadow is the best informer. If he is not this good at hiding, the Alphas might have long killed him for his precious knowledge. But hey, how to find him when one needs him?

I'm a client here.

I wondered how things were going on Abrielle's end. If she found him, she would probably contact me. Though I didn't want that to happen. I must do my best to at least, help her out, if not to impress her.

I ceased walking when I realized that I am in an unfamiliar part of the city. Spacing out really ain't good. I didn't know this place. I hoped I'm not lost. That would be the last thing I would want on my list.

I walked around and around and around. Sigh. I always ended up facing the same door, the one with broken hinges and bleached in color. I had to admit, I was totally lost. I looked around, noticing for the first time that I was alone.

"Hey!" I called out. "Anybody there?" Maybe I could ask directions from someone. To my dismay, no one responded. "Oh damn."

I roamed the place again. This time I tried the opposite way, but still I remained in the same spot.

My breathing sped up. This was completely not making sense. Something was wrong. I knew it, I've been enchanted.

I cannot leave.

I ran to my left, only to end up again in the same spot.

I cannot stay.

I ran to my right, sprinting faster, but the result's still the same.

I needed to hurry and break the spell. But how? And who did this?

I tried climbing the buildings, but as soon as I touched the wall, they turned into smoke.

This sucked.

I tried summoning my magic, but in vain. Even calling Karr.

This couldn't be happening. I shook my head.

I had been trapped. I needed to warn Abrielle. I needed to warn her!

"Damn it!" I yelled as I kicked the stupid door without holding back.