Epilogue

It's not the goodbyes that truly hurts, but the flashbacks that follows.

---------------------------------------------------------

"Papa! Papa!"

I laid the heavy silver pen aside and rolled the parchment I've been working on. A fond smile spread across my face as soon as I saw her peep in from behind the door, her golden ringlets hanging freely on her small head. Her bright crimson eyes grew wider when I spread my arms out, motioning her to come inside.

"What is it, my dear?"

She half-ran towards me, almost tripping herself with her own feet. She immediately climbed to my arms. I smirked as I pinched her dimpled cheeks.

"Owwie... that hurts."

I laughed. "Now, tell me what made you come here?"

She pulled out a beautiful white iris from her purple robe, and handed them to me. "I saw it in the garden. I wanna show it to you. Isn't it pretty?"

"Yes it is." The most beautiful flower indeed. "It was your mother's favorite."

"Really?" she cooed. "I should give it to her, then!"

She hurriedly jumped off onto the ground, and left the room without a second glance. I simply shook my head as the door slammed shut. I heard a scuffle, then her squeal. Seconds after, I heard a soft knock on the wooden door.

"Your Majesty," a familiar voice called out.

"Come in." A very tall black-haired man in Castell uniform entered the room and bowed. "How many times do I have to tell you that you don't have to be formal with me when no one's around?"

"It's not as if you're just some official. You are the Mage Lord, so at least a bit of formality is necessary," he grinned. He was as lean and nearly dangerous as a long sword, a befitting trait for the Head Castell. I simply laughed. "Anyways, I came to report to you that the High Priest and his family have arrived. They're waiting for you in the throne room."

"Really?" I immediately stood up and pulled the white piece of velvet from the chair. I attached the cape on my robe, together with a huge opal brooch with the insignia of my House in it. "I'm ready. Lead the way, Steven-cal."

*****

It has been exactly five years since that fateful incident. Everything was peaceful now, set in its proper order. The people were living in prosperity, the economy of the kingdom stable. I have done exceptionally well, especially with handling the regret and loneliness of my loss.

The civilians were oblivious of the near-destruction of our world. Somehow, I was unhappy that the Alphas decided not to tell anyone about her sacrifice. Her martyrdom basically went unrecorded in our history, as if the great tragedy never occurred at all. Well, I was undaunted. I secretly visited the Great Library of Harris and left my knowledge in the hands of the Guardian Spirit.

As for my friends, the Goddess of Happiness had been smiling on them.

"Bow in front of his Highness, Mage Lord Yhuelle Aethen of Argout!" announced a Royal official as I entered the throne room. I sat in the middle throne, the largest one made of peridot. All the insignias of the main Houses in Celes were carved on it, outlined in gold, and of course, my House in the center.

"Rise," I said. Everyone rose from kneeling, while the eight Alphas returned to their own smaller thrones. I smiled and nodded at them. The four on my left side were Slyfen Hans Marinoel, Lucianna Olive Ether, Marcus Lou Felyon and Urtear Allia Roan. The ones on my right side were the new Alphas, who proved themselves worthy of my trust and had immense talents of their own, Cecile vi Kirche Elson, Thellethia Sasha Evergreen, Jall Reed of Vixor and Wrynlace Lacy Marinoel. They were Aldina, Theletta, Jaed and Wrynlace respectively.