Chapter 66 || "Help You Relax"

I'm so stunned by my family in my room that I just stand there and stare at them for a few seconds. It isn't until Shawn puts his hand on my back and gently pushes me toward them that I spring into action.

"Oh my God, what are you guys doing here?" I ask, breaking out into a grin. Mom pulls me into her arms and embraces me tightly before letting go so I can go hug Dad.

"We figured it'd be nice to come up and surprise you." Dad says as I hug him. I let go and plop down on my bed beside Ava and Luke.

"Hey guys, how's school?" I ask, grinning at them. I try to hug them, but like usual, they squirm their way out of my arms. They smile awkwardly. Luke and Ava, like me, have never been big on hugs and it always makes them uncomfortable whenever I try to hug them.

"Good. I moved into your room at home." Ava smirks.

"What? Why?" I ask, and Mom rolls her eyes.

"She's lying. Don't worry, your room is exactly how you left it." she says. "So sweetie, how's Xavier?"

I look up, Shawn and I making eye contact. I suddenly become aware that Shawn is still here, awkwardly standing in the opening of the doorway.

"Oh, uh, he's good." I say, causing Mom to give me a weird look.

"That's all? He's just good?" she laughs.  "I'm surprised you don't have a little more to say about your boyfriend."

"We broke up." I blurt out, and the room falls to silence.

"Why? He was so nice-"

"Mom, I don't want to talk about this right now." I interrupt, staring at Shawn. My family follows my gaze to Shawn, noticing him for the first time.

"Oh, I didn't realize you had a friend with you." she says, and my heart hammers in my chest as I wait for the realization to set in on who he is.

But it never does.

"Hi, I'm Helaina's mom." Mom smiles. Shawn smiles awkwardly back, and I clear my throat.

Of course she- or anyone else for that matter- doesn't remember him; why would they? Mom and Dad were the only ones who ever saw Shawn before, and Mom only met him a handful of times almost a year and a half ago.

"You guys know him already, actually." I say, standing up. I head over to him and grab his hand, leading him over to my family. "This is Shawn Mendes. We went to high school together. He's the one who tutored me in physics junior year."

"Oh, right. Shawn. I remember you now." Mom says, and I can tell by the tone in her voice and the expression of her face that her memories of Shawn are not pleasant ones.

"It's nice to see you again." Shawn says politely. Mom just nods.

"How did you guys get in here in the first place? The door locks automatically."

"Kennedy's your roommate. She was walking back to the room and saw us so she let us in." Luke explains.

Of course she did.

"She was with Ben. Why did you stop hanging out with them?" Ava asks, and I grimace.

"Oh my God Ava, can you stop?" I snap.

"Be nice, Helaina." Dad warns.

"Why are you all dressed up? You look pretty, but what's the reason?" Mom asks, and I can tell she's trying to find out if Shawn and I were out on a date without asking me if Shawn and I were out on a date.

"I was at work. One of my jobs is at a boutique in town so I have to dress up."

"That nice just to go work in a clothing store?"