Chapter 37 || "Read Me Like A Book"

I step out of the elevator and into the lobby. As I head for the tall glass doors that lead outside, I see Shawn standing there, leaning against a tree against he scrolls through his phone. I push open the door and step outside, and Shawn looks up.

"Hey baby." Shawn says, standing up from his slouch and walking over to me. I smile weakly at him as he pulls me into a quick embrace. Shawn pulls back and asks me, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, I just don't feel that good." I say as we begin to walk. "Plus, I had the pleasure of being in the elevator with Alex the whole time, so that was awkward considering what happened yesterday."

"What happened yesterday?"

I stare at him for a minute before remembering.

"Oh, that's right. I never told you." I say, and he shakes his head.

You see, I had planned on explaining everything to Shawn, but in the moment I was so upset and angry with Julia that I didn't want to talk about it because I knew it would just make me even more angry. Then, when Shawn came over and I realized how good he looked, one thing led to another and then...

"So are you going to tell me what happened?" Shawn asks, breaking me away from my train of thought.

"Yeah, sorry." I say, and begin to recant the story to Shawn. I explain how Alex lied and flipped the story to make it sound like I was all over her and not the other way around. I explain how she walked into the coffee shop while I was there with Julia, and Julia being Julia, decided it was a great idea to go and ask Alex point blank if she's gay and likes me.

"Well, does she; is she?" Shawn asks. I roll my eyes and groan.

"She said she's definitely not lesbian, so there you go." I say, expecting this to be the end of the conversation.

Of course it isn't.

"That's not a definite answer, Helaina."

"Yes it it, Shawn."

"No, it isn't." Shawn says, and I shoot him a look. "It isn't! Gay and straight aren't the only two sexualities, Helaina. Alex could like boys and girls."

I realize he's right. Somehow, it never once crossed my mind that Alex could be bi or pansexual.

"Okay, maybe you're right." I say, and he smiles at me admitting it.

"I don't know how you didn't think of that. I mean, come on. Your own roommate likes both boys and girls." Shawn says. I nod.

While I had a summer romance with Xavier the summer going into senior year, Kennedy had her own. Through Charlotte and others who stayed friends with her, along with posts to Instagram, I learned that Kennedy started dating someone new: a girl named Jasmine. Even though we were no longer friends at that point, I was still happy for Kennedy for finally accepting who she was and being comfortable enough to date a girl.

Once September rolled around, though, and Kennedy started seeing Ben every day again, she realized her feeling for him never faded. Jasmine and Kennedy broke up in the beginning of October, and Kennedy and Ben got back together at the end of October and have been inseparable since.

"You're right." I say. "Anyway, why do you assume that if Alex really is bi or pan or whatever, why would she like me?"

"Oh, so now you're admitting that you think she likes you?" Shawn says.

"No!" I yell, and he laughs. "I'm just saying that hypothetically, if Alex were to like me, why would she like me of all people?"

"Because you're hot." he says. I roll my eyes but smile at the ground. "Plus, I mean, look at your ass. You're thick as hell."