Chapter 17 || "Say You Want Me"

As Sebastian leans forward to go spin the bottle, I lean back into my chair. I can see Shawn stand up in my peripheral vision, and I don't think much of it. Until he comes over and grabs my hand, yanking me up, that is.

"Helaina, come with me." he says, pulling me up.

"What? No. Why?" I ask, extremely confused. I glance behind me to see people watching us, one of them being Skylar. She looks visibly upset and uncomfortable.

"You need another drink." he says, taking the cup out of my hand.

"No I don't, it's not-" I begin, but Shawn yanks me away anyway.

He pulls through the backyard and up onto the patio, heading back into the house. His grip on my hand tightens once we get inside the house, and he makes a beeline for the stairs.

"Shawn, where are we going?" I yell, but I already have a feeling.

"You're really thirsty." he says, but I know he's not talking about drinking.

I roll my eyes, and I recognize the second-floor of the house from Monday. Shawn leads me down the hallway to the end, opening his bedroom door. He gently pushes me inside and I stumble a little, sitting down on his bed. He shuts the door and locks it behind him, turning around to face me. He rubs his temples tiredly, and I awkwardly stare at him.

"Why am I in here?" I ask.

"I'm so confused by you." he says abruptly.

"What?"

"I'm so confused by you." he repeats.

"No, I heard you the first time. What I meant was I'm having trouble understanding what you mean." I say.

"You go and flip out on me for kissing you, but then you go and make out with Sebastian in front of everybody like it's no big deal. I'm having trouble understanding why you would do that." Shawn says, his voice rising.

"I acted like it was no big deal because it was no big deal, Shawn!" I yell. "In case you forgot, this is a party! And at parties, people get drunk and play drinking games because they want to have fun."

"Why would you kiss Sebastian?"

"Because the bottle landed on him."

"You could've taken a shot."

"I didn't want to."

"So you wanted to kiss him?"

"I don't see why it matters."

"It doesn't."

"Then why are you asking me this?

"You know exactly what I'm asking you this."

I don't respond, instead setting my lips into a straight line and staring at him. I cross my arms in front of my chest and shake my head.

"I'm so sick of you doing this." I say.

"Doing this? What's this?" Shawn asks, and I roll my eyes.

"Don't play stupid. I'm so sick and tired of you policing my life like you own me or something!"

"No I don't." he says, taking a few steps closer to me.

"Yes, you do!" I shout, standing up. "You're always acting like you're in charge of me or something, like you're my dad or something!"

The second the words leave my mouth, I regret them. A smirk spreads across Shawn lips and he steps forward, now only a few inches in between us.

"You said that on purpose didn't you?" he asks, his voice suddenly low. I just shake my head. "Don't lie, baby girl. You called me that because you knew I would respond by saying you know I'm your daddy."