Chapter 14 || "Give You My Number"

The rest of the week passes uneventfully yet extremely busily at the same time. From taking in all of the new information in classes to starting assignments that I already have despite it just being the first week, I barely have time during the day to focus on what a wreck my life has become. At night, though, it's a different story.

At night, I'm alone with my thoughts. As I lay there in bed, listening to Kennedy snore as I desperately try and fall asleep, that's when the negative thoughts and fears start to trickle in. My demons dance around me and taunt me, and there's nothing I can do but fall victim to their assaults. I lay there and think about how I haven't spoke to Xavier since Monday, and he's made no attempt to convey me. I think about how Julia barely even talks to me anymore. She insists it's because she's been so busy with classes and adjusting to the hustle-and-bustle of college life, but I know that's true. I know it's because she can no longer trust me because I cheated on Xavier, and she's only telling me that to spare my feelings.

Worst of all, as I lay there, I think about Shawn.

Shawn Mendes. The boy who managed to screw up my life with just one simple look. If Mrs. Hernandez had never assigned us to be lab partners that day, would I be in this situation right now? No, I wouldn't. I know that for a matter of fact. Who knows, maybe the situation with Ben confessing his feelings would have still happened. I would have still done the same thing. Shawn had no factor in that, clearly. But I still would've met Xavier over the summer while working at the concession stand at the movies in town.

Xavier...

"I can help the next person in line." I say, looking down at the money I put in the cash register. "What can I get for you?"

I look up, and all of the moisture in my mouth disappears. There's a boy standing in front of me who looks about my age, and God is he cute.

Like, really cute.

"Can I have a medium popcorn and a small coke please?" he asks.

Not only is he cute, but he's also cute with manners and a nice voice. I gulp.

I smile and nod, turning around to go get a bag. I fill it up to the top with popcorn and put it on the counter in front of him before turning to the side to fill up his cup.

"Are you guys hiring by any chance? I've only been living here for a few days, but I figured it's better to start looking for a new job sooner than later." he asks.

"I think we are, but I'd have to check with my manger first." I say.

"Please let us be hiring." I mentally add.

"Did you want butter or salt?" I ask him, sliding the cup onto the counter as well.

"They put the butter on your popcorn here for you?" he asks.

"And salt, if you want." I say, and he laughs.

"Wow, that's a lot more generous than how they did it where I used to live. They would just hand you the dry popcorn and expected you to do it yourself." he explains. "And yeah, I'd love some butter and salt."

"Technically, it's not a part of our job requirement, but I don't mind." I say with a small small. "Where did you used to live?"

"Seattle."

"Oh wow, you moved far."

"Yeah, unfortunately for me. I'm going to be a senior in September, you see, so it kind of sucks for me. Moving to a new place thousands upon thousands of miles away from my friends, all right before my senior year. I think it's safe to say I wasn't too thrilled when I found out." he says, and I nod.