Chapter 32 || "Sugar Mama"

Shawn and I spend the next two hours walking around town, going from store to store looking for places that are hiring. Shawn picks up a mere two resumes from the around fifty stores we went in, while I pocket about ten. As we walk back to campus, me holding onto Shawn for support as my feet throb in my heels, he continues to tease me about the places we went in.

"The only reason you got so many applications and yes's was because they were mostly guys in high school or college who obviously thought you were hot." Shawn says, the bitterness clear in his tone.

"That's not true." I say. "They gave me the application because I better fit the job."

"Oh come on, that's bullshit and you know it. Just admit it, baby. They were hitting on you and you enjoyed it." he says, and we stop at the crosswalk as the light turns red.

"Okay, so maybe some of them were hitting on me." I finally give in. "But I definitely didn't enjoy it."

Shawn shoots me a look, raising one eyebrow. I giggle and shake my head.

"Okay, maybe a little."

The light turns green, signaling for us to start walking. We head across the street, and as we make it onto the next block, I feel my stomach grumble and frown. I look at the stores we pass, seeing restaurant after restaurant. I groan, pulling on Shawn's arm and pointing at the restaurants.

"I'm hungry." I complain. "Can we stop and eat?"

"Sure, but you can pay." he says, and my jaw drops.

"What? Why?" I yell.

"You're clearly the one who's going to be getting a job sometime soon. I think you're about to be my sugar mama, Helaina." Shawn says, and I burst out laughing.

"You're so weird." I say, pulling him inside a Mexican restaurant. We walk up to the hostess, who smiles at us.

"Hi, just two?" she asks, and I nod. "Okay, you can follow me."

The hostess leads Shawn and I over to a table right next to the window. I sit with my back to the wall, Shawn sliding into the seat opposite of me. She hands us both a menu, and I thank her.

"Your server will be over in a minute to take your drink orders." she says, and walks away.

"Are you really making me pay?" I ask Shawn once the hostess walks away.

"Why? I didn't think you were one of those people who were hell-bent on the man always paying." Shawn says, and I shrug.

"I mean, I'm not, but if I can get a free meal, I will." I say, and he laughs. "Also, I left my wallet back in the dorms because I wasn't thinking straight and forgot to grab it."

"Well then get the hell up and leave, Helaina." Shawn jokes. "But really, I don't care. I was going to pay for you regardless."

I smile, silently thanking him. I open my menu and begin to look through the items, even though I already know what I want. I always order the same thing, after all. I close the menu and put it down, looking out the window. I see Shawn staring me, so I look back over at him.

"What?"

"You already know what you what?"

I nod.

"Yeah, I always get the same thing whenever I go to a Mexican restaurant."

"Why?"

"Why not?"

"Because you should try something new when you go to new places."

"Well if I already know what I like, why should I risk getting something else just because I want to expand my array of choices?"