Chapter 26 || "You Kissed Her?"

Shawn pulls me off of Alex, dragging me backwards off the dance floor. People stare at us, shooting us funny looks, but Shawn just ignores them. Clearly Alex and I's little show worked, but a little too well.

When we reach the end of the floor, the area less densely populated and there more breathing room, Shawn let's go of my waist and instead grabs onto my hand. He starts leading me away, but. second hand grabs onto my free hand from behind. I look behind me, and Alex is standing there with a giddy expression on her face.

"Where are you going?" she asks, and I remove her grip from my hand.

"Home." I respond curtly, looking at her uneasily. How is she so relaxed, so calm after what just happened? When I had to kiss Julia as a dare, I could barely even look at her for some time after that without feeling awkward.

"Oh, okay. Let me just get my stuff from-" she begins, but I shake my head and cut her off.

"No, we're going home." I say, gesturing to me and Shawn. "You and everyone else can stay here."

"Helaina, who are you talking to?" Shawn asks, noticing my voice for the first time. He stops walking and turns around, eyeing Alex.

"Just give me a minute." I tell him, and turn my attention back to Alex.

"I'm going to go call an Uber. Come outside when you're done." he says, walking out the door.

"You're being rude, Helaina." Alex says, crossing her arms in front of her chest defensively. The giddy, happy-go-lucky look she once had is now replaced by a hurt one.

"That's kind of what happens when you randomly kiss people!" I yell, letting my voice raise as high as it wants.

"You said you wanted to make Shawn jealous!" she yells back.

"Yeah, by dancing with you a little! Not with you suddenly trying to make out with me in front of him!" I scream, and her lips curl up into a thin line.

"Fine. Whatever." she says, and I begin to walk away. "I don't know who you expect me to hang out with now that you're gone."

"I don't give a fuck!" I scream, turning around. A few people look over at us. "Dance with Julia! She's the person that you invited you here. No offense, but I barely even know you Alex. I met you about two hours ago and frankly I don't give a fuck about what you do."

"I'm going to have to ask you to either keep your voice down or leave." a bouncer says, suddenly appearing at my side. I look up at him, and the room starts to sway. The music somehow turns louder, bumping so hard that it makes my ears hurt. For the first time tonight, I notice how drunk I am.

I look at Alex and say, "It's fine, I was just about to leave anyway."

I turn away and step for the door, pushing it open. I step outside, immediately spotting Shawn a few feet away sitting on a bench. I walk over and sit down next to him, and he doesn't even glance in my direction.

"The Uber should be here any minute." he says, staring out at the street.

"Shawn, I'm really sorry." I say, my words slurring slightly. I put my hand on his leg. "I didn't want to make you mad."

"Can we just be quiet?" he asks, removing my hand from his leg. He puts it down of the bench, and his words and motion sting a little. I nod even though he isn't looking at me, and we sit on the bench for a few minutes before a car pulls up in front of us. Shawn stands up wordlessly, and I follow him. He opens the car door, standing aside for me to get in. I do, and he follows in after me.

"Hi, you have the directions and address of the university, right?" Shawn asks the driver.

"Yeah, I do." he responds, and I see he's a man probably in his 20's.