Chapter 39 || "Mrs. Steal Your Girl"

AN: be sure to read the AN at the end of the chapter, it's important!

"Why do you have Alex's notebook?" I ask quietly, causing Julia to sigh loudly.

"Helaina, are you kidding me? You just read Alex's poetry or whatever where she confesses her love for you, and that's what you choose to focus on?" she yells.

"Well what else am I supposed to do!" I yell back. "I can't exactly confront her about it. Am I supposed to go 'Oh hey Alex, remember how Julia and I accused you of liking me? Well Julia went through your journal and showed me the poem you wrote about me!' Yeah, I think that'll go over great."

"I didn't steal her journal." Julia mumbles.

"Then why the fuck were you reading through it?" I snap.

"Because it's the same one that I have!" she yells. She walks over and picks up an identical black Moleskin journal. "I use it to write homework and assignments and stuff in it. I couldn't find mine, and when I saw Alex's, I thought it was mine. I flipped open to the last page to check what work I have to do and well, that's what I found."

"What am I going to do, Julia?" I ask, putting my head in my hands. "I can't just look at her and pretend like I don't know this, but if she finds out what we did, she'll kill both of us for reading her journal."

"I don't know, we have to just-" Julia begins, but we're interrupted by the sound of keys jingling outside the door.

We both freeze and stare at one another, before I throw the notebook at Julia. She panics and tosses it under Alex's bed. Julia dive-bombs onto her bed and lands beside me. The door opens, and we both look up as Alex walks in.

"What?" she asks immediately. "Why are you guys staring at me like you're deer caught in headlights?"

I look down, already feeling my face turn red. Alex goes to her bed and sits down, beginning to take her shoes off. I can feel her eyes on me, her gaze practically burning holes into my skin. I wish I could disappear.

"Why are you here, Helaina? Sorry, not that it isn't a pleasure." The way the words come out gives off a sarcastic, mocking tone, but now, her words and attitude take on a whole new meaning. She's putting on an act; a charade to hide her true feelings towards me.

"I'm going to go back to my room, Julia." I say, standing up. "I'm going to see if Shawn's still sleeping."

I see a flicker of emotion on Alex's face; it's so fast that it's gone in the blink of an eye, but I don't question if it was there or not. I know it was, and I know exactly what the emotion was.

Jealousy.

"Why is Shawn asleep on your bed? Is he sick or something?" Julia asks.

I shake my head.

"No. Actually, I am. I have a fever, so he came over to be with me and then he fell asleep." I explain.

"Aw shit, Helaina. I was just next to you. I can't get sick." Julia groans.

"Don't worry, you can sanitize the room and yourself now. I'm going to go quarantine myself in my room with Shawn." I say, heading for the door.

"Have fun, but not too much fun." Julia yells. I roll my eyes but can't fight back the smile that makes its way onto my face.

"No promises. Bye Jules." I look over at Alex, thinking for a minute before adding, "Bye Alex."

She barely looks up to say goodbye back, just nodding slightly to acknowledge that she heard me. Julia and I share a knowing look before I leave their dorm and head back over to my own. I pull out my key and unlock my door, quietly stepping inside to make sure I don't wake up Shawn. When I step in and close the door, I turn around to find Shawn sitting up on my bed going on his phone, only now, he's shirtless.