Chapter 56 || "Round Two"

My first class- World History- goes relatively fast; probably because the majority of the class time I spent zoning out, daydreaming about what tonight holds. By the time the class ends and everyone stands up to leave, I look at the laptop in front of me and realize I've barely typed a full-page of notes, while I normally type anywhere from three to four pages on a normal day.

I stand up and pack my stuff up, heading out of the lecture hall. I leave the building, pulling out my phone to see if Shawn, or anyone else for that
matter, has texted me, but no one has. I sigh, sliding my phone back in my jeans. I decide to head straight to my next class, even though it doesn't start for another half an hour. By the time it will take me to walk there, it'll be another fifteen minutes.

Just as I predicted, it takes me a little more than fifteen minutes to walk to class. When I open the doors and step inside, there's only a handful of other people there. Everyone's sitting quietly, one or two people whispering to each other. I head up the steps and go to where I normally sit, putting my bag down beside me.

I pull out my laptop and set it up, pulling up my notes for this class. I look at the clock. Still another eleven minutes until class starts.

I pull my phone out, opening up my messages with Shawn. I stare at the screen for a minute, debating whether or not I should text him, before deciding I just should.

H: what time is the party tonight

S: Starts at 10

H: walk with me?

S: I'll be there at 9:30

H: 💖

"Hey."

I look up, surprised to see Sebastian standing there.

"Oh, hey." I say. I haven't seen him, let alone spoken to him, since the party last week. Frankly, I've been beyond embarrassed with myself and my actions and didn't want to face him.

I move my legs out of the way for him to walk by. He thanks me and I nod, moving them back once he's past me. Sebastian sits down next to me and pulls his laptop out. I expect for him to say something, anything else to me, but he doesn't. Instead, I decide to take it upon myself to break the ice.

"So," I begin, clearing my throat. "I think we should talk about what happened last week. You know, at the party."

"Why should we?" he asks, his response catching me entirely off guard.

"What?" I blink.

"It didn't mean anything. You were pretty obviously drunk off your ass, right? Not to mention you have a boyfriend." Sebastian says.

"Yes, exactly." I nod. "I'm really glad you understand, because I-"

"Listen Helaina," he sighs, cutting me off. My heart drops in my chest. I already know this isn't going to end well. "I think it'd be best for both of us if we just stop talking to each other."

"What? Why?"

He looks at me funny, his nose scrunching up slightly as he stares at me.

"Really? You can't figure out why?" he asks. I shake my head.

"No..." I trail off.

Sebastian sighs.

"You can't just play with someone's emotions all of the time, Helaina. What you did to me last week really messed me up."

"What I did to you? What, do you mean when I got drunk and kissed you?"

He nods grimly, a pained look in his eyes.