Chapter 71

Chapter 71

(unedited)

Sofi P.O.V

Do you recognize the taste, the bitter taste at the tip of your tongue that spread through the whole tongue and the inside of your cheek and destroy your taste bud?

That is only the beginning of the beginning of the feeling that will engulf your whole body. The worst emotion turmoil lurching and flipping inside me right now.

Out of mind? Crazy? Lunatic? Physo?

That word might not describe me at the moment but it's best word describing Adhan.

Me? I'm standing in front of a lifeless body of a woman beaten to death. It's hard to think what flashes in front her mind as her life sucked out of her body. She might see the fragment of her happy life before darkness took over her.

Thinking about that brings the feeling back. It started with my tongue. The taste is as if I had swallowed the most bitter and sour food in the whole word. Name it, that food might be the food that leaves this bad aftertaste.

The organ behind my chest, heart is like a balloon. A balloon that you blow up so big, then a small child holding the sharpest needle decided it time to burst the balloon.

Boom! That is what I experience just now. My heart just exploded behind my chest and all the air inside it, sucked out forcefully. Panting and fighting to breath.

The balls of my eyes felt like it has come out of the socket and reattached back at the sight of bloodied body. My body is shaking, aftermath of the sighting that is disturbing to normal people.

Other than the blood-curdling scream out of my mouth a while ago, nothing else came out after that. My throat felt hoarse and dry as if a sand paper has been used against it. Grainy and seedy, that the taste inside the throat right now.

I did suspect that a woman own this house based on the toiletries inside the bathroom. All the hope that a woman, the owner will come and save me dashed out of the window right now.

Adhan on the other hand, looked normal. He ran towards me as he heard the scream. My finger, trembling pointing at the body. I was hoping that I can see something on his face, but nothing. He smiles. That is, he smiles as he hugged me.

Is that normal? He was a police officer, and this sight is normal in his line of duty. Smile? Can a normal person, be it a police officer smile at a sight of a body laid in pool of dark crimson, thick liquid?

Instead, he was pouring rains of compliment on me. Nothing that I can remember or hear as I was drawn into my own though. Realization dawn on me that the man standing here not only dangerous but he might be the person who beat this woman to her premature death. My gaze then falls on my own fingers, trembling, visibly shaken by the new fact laid in front of me.

I was ashamed at first, as I realized that I'm standing in front of stranger without my scarf on my head and clothes so tight I felt like I'm almost naked. That was a while ago, before my gaze falls on the dead body. Now, I'm mortified. How long will I survive?

The reality that now I'm facing a cold-blooded murderer changes everything. I might have to go against everything that I hold to survive. More than my own life, the little guest living in my womb is the only ray of hope. Giving up is not an option.

"Why are you sweating, hot?" his voice laced with care.

I cringed as he finger touches my exposed shoulder. Staring blankly at the wall beside me, I shake my head.