Ninety-Five

Six Months Later

I pinch the bridge of my nose and let out a late-afternoon sigh as I sit at my desk. The office is still busy at such an hour and it seems that the people here never quit working. There is a light knock at my open door and I look up to see the secretary of my floor holding a stack of paperwork.

"Sorry to bother you Mr. Min, but these came for you just now," she nods to the papers in her hand and I wave her in. She places them on my desk with an apologetic smile. I give her an appropriate nod and she leaves the space. I spin in my office chair to look out the large window. My uncle took a chance on me like he said he would, and I'm not disappointed with my new job. Still, looking down at the busy city below me I can't help but wonder how different my life could be right now if things had been gone differently that night.

I stand and stretch, cracking the bones in my spine and neck in the process. It's too late to worry about this paperwork now, and I'll be back first thing in the morning to complete it. I gather my jacket and slip it over my nice work shirt. I grab my wallet and other minimal belongings before heading out. I wave casual goodbyes to my fellow office workers and step into the elevator and press the ground floor button.

I flip through my phone to see a new message from Jin.

I grin at how cheesy he is still to this day, then I pocket my phone

I grin at how cheesy he is still to this day, then I pocket my phone. I can't help but smile as I take the short subway ride to my new apartment. Before I go inside, I pull out a wrinkled piece of paper from my pocket and stare down at it in my hands. I let out a sigh with my whole body and loosen up my shoulders and neck before heading inside.

Jeon Jungkook is sitting at the kitchen island with his laptop and headphones in doing schoolwork online. He doesn't see me walk in right away and I can hear his music from the door. He's beautiful and surreal, and the evening sun from the large window is casting a glow against his body that I couldn't have expected on this day.

I hang my coat on a hook by the door and step further inside, and I'm nearly at the kitchen before he finally sees me. He smiles wide and removes his headphones. "Hi! You're home!"

I go behind him and wrap my arms across his shoulders and rock him a bit. I squeeze him dramatically with all my might and he giggles at my closeness. "What's gotten into you?"

It's then that I unravel the crinkled up paper to reveal the stupid little "date" coupon he had given to me after I won my first game last basketball season. It's been exactly one year since he gave it to me. It's faded and most of the writing is smudged, and it seems a little silly now and for a second I'm embarrassed. But then I hear Jungkook make a loving sound, and his fingers reach for the paper to hold it himself. He reads it out loud.

"Valid for ONE ice cream date with Jungkook! Expires on the last game of the season!"

I press my chin on his shoulder and he turns his neck to look at me. I meet his eyes and he presents me with the largest smile any boyfriend could ask for. I'm thankful for him being alive. I'm thankful to be holding him. I'm thankful for this life.

I might have once had a dream about playing basketball. I was so blinded by that dream that I didn't realize what I could loose in the process. But I have a new dream now, and that dream starts and ends with a little mother fucker named Jeon Jungkook.

"I know it's expired but," I say to him lovingly and press my forehead against his. "Let's get ice cream,"