What now?

Lyric

I stood at the window, looking out of it. I let out a sigh and rubbed my head. Years I waited to tell my crush how I felt. When I finally did and found out that he felt the same way, I was ecstatic. Uncle Noah said it would happen. I just needed to give it time.

We talked about everything and what we planned. I was so happy, but that ripped the happiness from me in the blink of an eye.

One minute we were laughing and talking, and the next thing, I knew he's gone. Life is cruel.

I hadn't left my room since I came home. I didn't want to leave. I knew if I did, then I would have to deal with Daniel gone. If I didn't move, he didn't leave. He was just on a trip. That's what I keep telling myself.

Today is his funeral, and my family coaxed me into going. I didn't want to go. I just wanted to stay here and pretend he was on a trip.

My door opened. "Baby girl? It's time," I heard Dad say. I turned to see him and Uncle Noah standing there.

"Come on, sweetheart," Noah coaxed me with his arm out. I begrudgingly walked towards them with my arms crossed. Uncle Noah wrapped his arm around me as we walked downstairs. Everyone was waiting to go to the funeral.

We headed out, and I sat in the backseat quietly. I didn't want to talk to anyone. I just wanted to stay in my room.

We pulled up to the cemetery and got out. Dad stood on one side, and Uncle Noah stood on the other side of me. They walked with me, and everyone followed us. I reached out, taking their hands. I needed them now, more than anything, and they knew it. They held my hands as we walked.

We found a seat and sat down. My ma and siblings sat behind us as did the rest of our family. Daniel's family sat there, and his parents were heartbroken. It was so hard to watch, let alone deal with it.

We sat there as Nixon got up, walking to the front. He took the podium and spoke eloquently about Daniel and his life.

"Family and friends, it gathers us to say our goodbyes to a wonderful young man. Death is not the ending but the beginning as we make our journey into the next life. We celebrate Daniel's life, hoping one day we can enjoy the things he did."

"Love is a powerful thing. You can't see it, but you can feel it all around you, from the skies to the birds, to the flowers, to the wind. It engulfs us and helps us with a loss. Today we do not celebrate Daniel's death, but his life and the love he felt for everyone. Please join me in honoring this young man," he finished as we bowed our heads while he recited a prayer. I was glad Uncle Nixon performed the ceremony. It surprised him when Daniel's parents came to him and asked him. He agreed without hesitation. When they offered him money, he turned it down. He said it wouldn't be right to take from a grieving family.

After the funeral, I walked up to his parents and hugged them. They never once blamed me and understood how I was feeling.

I walked back over and took a seat. It was all surreal, and I didn't know where to go now. My future was up in the air.

Michael

I walked up in a suit. The funeral was going on, and I hung back, leaning against a tree. When Major called me and told me what happened, I agreed to help without hesitation. I knew what it was like to lose someone you love. It sucked.

I watched as her uncle spoke. I watched as people cried and mourned for a life cut too short. Suicide, it was a death that made no sense. It leaves the loved ones behind with no answers and the only one that had answers laid in that casket. I shook my head at the thought.

After the funeral, I watched her. She hugged the parents and then took a seat. She sat there by herself.

Major and Maverick walked up to me. "Michael?" Major said. "Can you help her?"

I looked at them and said, "Yes." With that, I walked away from them and towards her. People turned to see me, but I didn't care. My pace was even as I made my way to her.

"Who is that?" Larkin asked in shock.

"That is Michael. My brother," Mia said, causing everyone to look at her then at me.

I took a seat next to her; she had grown to be a beautiful woman, and it had been a while since I last saw her. The last time was when they were ten. I was sixteen. We had been to visit Uncle Mike, and I remember her laugh. It's what drew me to her.

"It sucks, doesn't it?" I asked.

"More than you know," she sighed.

"But don't let it consume you," I said as she turned and looked at me.

"Do I know you?" Lyric asked me.

I turned to her. "Did you hear any good lyrics lately?"

Then I smiled, and her eyes widened.

"Michael?" Lyric asked, stunned.

"Hi, Lyric," I smiled.

She stared at me for a minute and said, "So you're the infamous Michael everyone has been talking about."

I just looked at her and smiled. Then something happened, a small smile formed upon her lips and a light shined down on her.

Then we talked.

Lex

Dad watched Lyric talk to Michael and saw a smile form upon her lips. It had been the first time she smiled in days.

Ma walked up to him. "Well," Ma asked Dad.

He looked at her. "Ever hear when one door closes, another opens?"

"Yeah," Ma replied.

"I think that just happened," he said, wrapping his arms around her as she hugged him back while they kept watching.

To continue in The Gray Sisters: Back at It Again.