Guess who

Lex

We were all in the living room arguing like lunatics over a movie while Ma and Dad watched us. Yep, we were on house arrest because of what we did to Dad. He didn't find looking like a Smurf funny. We found it downright hilarious.

Ma broke it up while getting stuck in the middle as Dad shook his head and sighed. It's a typical night at our house.

Then we heard a click!

We all stopped as Dad turned around to come face to face with a guy holding a gun at his head. Roger stood next to him as the guy spoke in a raspy voice. "Miss me?"

"Bryson," was all Dad said.

He kept the gun on Dad as he said to Roger, "Go tie them up. It's time we had a chat."

Roger obliged as he walked over and tied us up. Not missing a beat, Bryson said, "Don't even think about it, or I will shoot."

Roger tied all of us up and made us get on the floor on our knees.

"You're supposed to be dead," Dad said to him.

"Supposed to be and what is, are two different things. Do I look fucking dead to you?" Bryson asked with annoyance.

"Nope, but you do look pretty hideous," Larkin retorted.

He moved the gun and shot, hitting her in the shoulder as she let out a piercing scream, "Oops, my bad." Then he trained the gun on Dad. "Maybe if you had more control over your abomination, you wouldn't be in this mess."

Larkin cried in pain as we knelt there.

"Now, tie him up. I want him to watch as I kill all of them, one by one," he ordered Roger. Roger walked over and tied up Dad, then made him kneel.

Bryson walked over to us as he spoke, "See, here's the thing about people thinking you die in a car crash, it gives you time to plot your revenge; a way overdue revenge. Because of all, you make me a humiliation; now you get to die."

"Bryson, I don't even remember what we did. Your uncle made sure of that," Ma tried to reason.

"Really? Because you all had a good laugh at my expense. All because I rejected you in the beginning. Because I had no interest in your ugly ass, that's the thing about crushes, you get crushed," he sneered at her.

We watched her as she withered at his words. Words hurt, that was proof of it.

"Now, let me revel because I will put you all out of your misery, starting with you," he said as he turned the gun on Luna. Then her phone went off. He reached down and answered it, "Sorry, you just missed her." Then he hung up.

He tossed the phone aside as Larkin's phone went off. He promptly answered it, "She can't come to the phone right now. She's busy bleeding to death." He hung up and tossed her phone. One by one, he answered our phones with a gruesome message before tossing them aside.

We knelt there as he trained the gun back onto Luna. "Now, where were we? Ah, yes," Bryson said. With that, we heard a click and closed our eyes. Then a gun fired.

"Larkin?" Maverick yelled.

"Luna?" Major shouted.

They opened their eyes to see Maverick and Major while the police talk to Dad. We watched as they cuffed Roger, and Bryson laid dead on the floor.

They stayed with them as paramedics tended to them.

"Major?" Luna looked at him as he smiled.

"It's okay. It's just a flesh wound," Major reassured Luna as she gripped him, while they wrapped her leg.

The paramedic took care of Larkin's shoulder as Maverick stayed with her. "How did you know?" She asked him.

"I didn't until someone answered your phone. I was calling to check up on you," Maverick answered.

"Why?" Larkin asked.

"Because if I want you to trust me, I need to earn it and keep my word," he smiled. Larkin looked at him and gave him a small smile. Maverick told her that he would check up on her whether she wanted him to. It was a start.

Piper hugged me as Daniel hugged Lyric. Mia stayed with Lakin. We watched as they placed Bryson's body in a black bag and zipped it up, then loaded it onto a stretcher.

My uncles stood there with Ma until Dad got done with the police. No one knew who took out Bryson. Whoever it was, put a bullet in his head. They left all that was a single hole through the living room window.

Police searched the house, but the only guns they could find was the one Bryson had on him, one Roger was carrying with him, and the bags in the van parked down the street. They even looked outside. All they found was a partial footprint twenty feet away. It wasn't enough evidence to locate the shooter.

The paramedics loaded my sisters onto a gurney and took them out to an ambulance. Dad, Ma, Major, and Maverick followed behind as our uncles stayed with us.

"I don't understand. Dad said he died with his brother- and sister-in-law. They even had a funeral," I said to them.

"Bryson got thrown from the car. Because it badly burned him, they thought he was the other driver. With the chaos that was happening, no one bothers to find out who he was; they just assumed," Nathan explained.

"How did you all find this out?" I asked them.

"We traced the messages to their source then went to Jasper to confirm, but he wouldn't do it. So, Nixon got ahold of Jordan, who pulled his file. He confirmed that Bryson was, in fact, alive considering the person they thought was Bryson didn't have the same blood type as Bryson," Noah answered.

"How they miss that obvious point is beyond me," Nixon huffed. "Twits."

"That still doesn't explain who shot Bryson," Nolan said.

"Does it matter? He's dead, and the police are hauling Roger back to jail," Nixon snapped.

"What if the shooter comes back?" Nolan asked.

"Well, if he does, then we will deal with it accordingly. Until then, let's be grateful they showed up and eliminated that piece of shit," he retorted.

Whoever the shooter was, we were grateful to them. They saved our lives.

There was a knock at a door, and someone yelled in a husky voice. "Come in!"

The door opened as Mike walked in and closed it. They walked over as the person was cleaning their rifle and unloading it.

"You're lucky," Mike said to them.

"Luck has nothing to do with it. Dad trained me right, and people need to leave them alone," he spoke as he finished cleaning the rifle before placing it in a case and closing it.

"Michael, you can't keep acting like a vigilante," he said to him.

"Uncle Mike, that family needs peace. The Tilsons have done nothing but cause problems for everyone," he spoke in an even tone.

"Look, I know you're angry about what happened to your parents, but you can't keep going after them."

"His brother made sure my parents, and Major and Maverick's parents were on that plane, knowing for it to crash," Michael said, not backing down.

"But you don't know that," he reasoned.

Michael looked at him, "That's the problem, we don't see the bigger picture. But I will tell you this. I won't let that family suffer anymore like ours did, even if I have to take care of every one of them myself."

Mike looked at him and conceded to defeat. If it was one thing he learned about Michael, it was with family; he didn't play although Mike didn't know why Michael was so interested in the Gray family to start. Michael didn't know them except for his daughter and niece and nephews having an interest in the kids.

Something told him, there was more to it than Michael was revealing. That's what made him hard to figure out. Michael kept things closely guarded to what he was thinking or feeling. He had always been that way. Let's hope it wasn't anything significant for him.

Mike nodded and left, leaving Michael to take care of the case that held the rifle.