Eighteen and love is in the air: A Valentine's Day chapter

Lex

Today was our birthday, and the day we all officially turned eighteen. Ma and Dad threw us a party to celebrate, and Maverick and Major now could finally ask my sisters out.

Only there was one slight snag. Larkin shut down her feelings, and Luna kept Major at arm's length. Both refuse to open to the possibility of fear of not having their feelings reciprocated or rejected.

At the party, while the rest of us basked in love, they dealt with Maverick and Major.

Larkin was in the kitchen getting something to drink when Maverick came in, "Hey."

"Hey," Larkin said.

"Look, I know a few weeks ago things were rough, but they're better, right?" Maverick asked.

"Better than they will ever be," she sighed. Maverick walked over to her until he was close to her, "Maverick?"

"Yeah?" Maverick said.

"Don't," she said as she looked at him.

"Don't what?" Maverick asked.

"Don't think things between us are fine because they aren't. You made your choice, so I'm making mine," Larkin said as she slid around Maverick and walked to the door.

Before she left, he said, "I love you."

She froze then said, "It would have been nice not to be iced out if that were the case, but it isn't." With that, she left, leaving him standing there.

Major tried to flirt with Luna, who kept avoiding him. He finally caught her alone. "Talk to me, Luna."

"What is to talk about, Major?" Luna asked him.

"Us," Major said.

"There is no us. I mean, why would you want someone like me when you could have any girl. I'm not that special," Luna said as he looked at her.

"What are you talking about, Luna? You're very special." He looked at her.

"Yeah, right," she scoffed.

"Come on, Luna." He pleaded.

"No, you made your feelings known a few weeks ago, so I know where I stand," she shrugged.

"I was angry. I have a right to be angry," Major explained.

"You're right. You do." He looked at her. "And I have the right not to feel like I'm a reject from hell. Excuse me." She pushed past him and walked away.

Luna went to hang with Lakin, Mia, and Larkin while Major walked over to Maverick.

"Man, this sucks," Major said to him. "I finally wait until she turns eighteen, and now she pushes me away." He let out a sign.

"Yeah, well, you're not the only one. I finally tell Larkin how I feel, and she just walked away," he responded.

They looked at each other and got some insight into my sisters. Did you honestly think they would give up so easily? That is Major and Maverick; they love a good challenge.

They walked over to Lyric and me as we hung with Daniel and Piper.

"Okay, we need to know what we have to do to win your sisters over," Major said to us.

"Well, how about not being complete tools?" Lyric said to them.

"Huh?" They both looked at her.

"Look, when you both wouldn't talk to them when everything happened, didn't help. Larkin shuts down emotionally, and Luna already feels like no one wants her. So, when two guys ignore them, it proves their point," she explained.