Trust your instincts

Lex

Something had been up with Daniel for the past few weeks. He had been acting happier than usual and came out telling us he was going to the same school as us. Lyric was ecstatic, but none of it made sense. How does one go from being sullen to happy in a matter of days?

I lay there on my bed thinking about it.

"Lex? You hoo," Piper said, waving her hand in front of me, snapping me out of my thoughts. "What are you thinking about?"

"I'm thinking about Daniel," I answered.

She arched her eyebrow at me, giving me a look as I rolled my eyes at her. I grabbed her and flipped her onto her back. "No, not like that. I prefer the female species, thanks."

She giggled.

"I'm just thinking how he went from one way to another in just a matter of days," I said to her.

"Maybe he could take care of whatever he needed to. I mean, we do have an insane amount of pressure on us as seniors," she said.

"Maybe, let's hope that's all it is," I said to her.

I leaned down to kiss her when I heard Lakin yell, "You can't be serious?"

"What?" Luna yelled.

"There is no way; he would ever allow you to go out like that!" Lakin snapped.

I looked at Piper. "What are those tools yelling about now?" She giggled. I gave her a quick peck on the lips, and we got up from the bed. We walked out of my room and to where the yelling was coming from since it was Luna's room.

I wasn't expecting to see what I saw when I walked in there to see Luna dressed in a tight, skimpy dress.

"You can't wear that!" Larkin yelled.

"Why not? What's wrong with it?" She checked it out.

"Maybe because it barely covers your ass. Dad will kill you if you leave the house like that," Lyric said to her.

"Well, Dad has no say in it. I'm eighteen now, and I want to wear something sexy for Major," she retorted.

"For what, the street corner?" Larkin asked her. Luna gave Larkin a look.

"Luna, not even we would dress like that," Lakin told her.

"Exactly, I'm not you, and you're not me, and I don't care what you think," she huffed as she crossed her arms.

"Maybe you need not care about what they think but care what I do," we heard Dad say behind us. We stepped aside as he walked inside her room. "Care to tell me why you're dress like a streetwalker?"

"Dad!" Luna yelled.

He looked at her with his arms crossed, then someone asked, "I would like to know the same thing?"

We all turned to see Major standing there. Yeah, this would not end well. Major walked into the room and stood next to Dad.

"I wanted to wear something sexy," she said defiantly to him.

He nodded as he took a step forward. "Is that so?"

"Yes," Luna answered.

"Care to rethink that?" Major asked her.

"Nope," Luna replied.

"Have it your way," he shrugged as he walked over to the closet and pulled out something and put it on her. Then he stepped back, admiring his handiwork. "Much better."

"I'm impressed," Dad said to him, and he nodded in agreement.

"I am not wearing this!" Luna snapped.

"Why not?" Major asked.

"Because it's a nightgown, you doof!" She growled.

"At least you don't look like a streetwalker now," he smirked.

"Ugh!" Luna groaned.

Major might be twenty-two, but I think he won Dad over just by that little maneuver with Luna.

It took an hour, but Luna finally conceded defeat and changed her clothes before Major took her out. His philosophy was that a woman shouldn't have to wear revealing clothing to catch a guy's attention. If they do, they are trying for the wrong focus. He just wanted her to respect herself.

Maverick came over to spend time with Larkin. They sat on her floor, playing a board game, and talked.

"So, I thought that maybe I could take you out one night," he said casually.

She didn't look at him, "Oh? What if I got plans?"

"Then maybe I could ask someone else," he shrugged.

"What if I don't have plans?" Larkin asked.

"Then I would say cool," he said casually.

"Okay, so if you took me out and I'm not saying you're going to. But if you did, what would we do?" Larkin asked him.

"Maybe something simple, a movie and dinner," Maverick shrugged.

She said nothing for a minute as she mulled over what he said then finally said, "I guess dinner and a movie wouldn't hurt. I mean, I do like food and movies."

A smile formed upon his lips as one created upon hers as she tried to hide it, baby steps.

Mia and Lakin went out to see a movie but ran into trouble in the form of homophobic tools. They had a beef with the fact they hated that they were gay and going to school. I could never understand the mentality. Why have any issue with someone for whom they loved? It made little sense.

It surrounded them as the assholes jumped them; only they weren't figuring on Luna and Major to come waking up since they were on their way into the show.

A brawl broke out in front of the movie theater, and the assholes got their homophobic asses kicked.

"You, girls, okay?" Major asked as Lakin wiped the blood from her mouth as Mia pulled out a tissue and handed it to her.

"Thanks. Yeah, nothing new there," Lakin sighed. "There will always be some asswipe that doesn't agree with our lifestyle, but I don't care," Lakin huffed.

"Come on, I'll take you girls home," he said as they walked to the car.

The one thing we all learned with Lakin, she would not let people stop her from who she loved. No matter who they were.

They walked inside to find our uncles over. Lakin and Luna walked over to Nathan and Nolan and hugged them. Major and Mia joined them as did the rest of us.

Dad sat there with Ma as they watched all of us with our uncles and smiled.

Our aunts came in a little while and joined them. It was surreal to see everyone together, knowing soon we would head off to school.

Dad turned to Ma. "You know, I think we have one heck of a family."

"You know, I think you're right," she smiled.

"And to think this all started with coconuts," he smirked.

She laughed at the memory of when Dad came home to find her in his bed. He pulled her to him and kissed her as we all looked on and smiled.

You can't replace or buy some things. A love like theirs was one of those things. At that moment, I knew exactly how I felt about Piper, and I wanted to show her. I would need some help to do so.

Maybe my family could help.