The Gray Brothers bakery attracts more than customers

Lex

I was in the back, grabbing some ingredients for the order dad was working on when I heard Ma yell, "Lex, can you come out here?"

I took the items to the steel table and set them down, then went out to the front area. Piper stood there. She smiled and waved, and I promptly turned around and started back when Dad stopped me. He motioned for me to turn around. I sighed.

I walked over to the counter.

"Did you need something?" I asked her.

She took a step forward. "Yes, I would like a cupcake and a coffee, please."

I looked at her as she continued to smile. Then I saw them, my sisters. What were they up to now? Because they all had that look. You know the one that says I will eat you alive and enjoy it.

I ignored them as I opened the case, and she told me, "Not that one." Every cupcake I reached for, she said the same thing. My patience was growing thin.

After her telling me this constantly, I finally snapped, "Look, we have been through all the cupcakes, and you don't want any of them. Will you make up your damn mind?"

"Okay," she shrugged. "Give me a muffin, blueberry."

"Fine," I huffed.

I pulled out a muffin and placed it on a plate. Then I grabbed a cup and filled it with coffee until I heard Piper say, "Actually, I want a vanilla latte."

I shot her a glance as she kept smiling. I took the coffee and dumped it out, then made her a vanilla latte. My sisters kept watching us. What the hell is wrong with them? Never mind, I wouldn't answer that.

I finished making the coffee and place it on the counter as I rang her up. I took her money and handed her the change.

As I turned to head to the back, I heard her say, "Now, why don't you join me?"

I stopped dead in my tracks. My body tensed.

"Hey, junior! Join the woman!" I heard someone yell.

I turned to see Uncle Nixon walk in.

"Don't you have some crazy wedding to perform?" I asked Nixon.

"Not today, I got some coming up," he smirked. I pursed my lips and furrowed my brows.

I turned and walked back over to the counter. I stood in front of Piper as she smiled brightly. Damn, she had a gorgeous smile. Knock it off Lex; she has a boyfriend, which she made clear.

"Ask Roger. I'm pretty sure he would frown about us sitting next to each other," I told her, being serious.

Her smile promptly disappeared, as did everyone else's. I turned and walked away. Hey, it's not my fault she chose that tool.

Piper

I was so ready to take a chance until those words escaped his mouth. I didn't understand. Lyric said they took care of Roger, and now Lex and I could get to know each other.

I lost my appetite.

I walked back over to them. "Lex hates me."

"It's Lex. He hates us," Lakin said.

"No, I could see it in his eyes and hear it in his tone. He hates me," I told the sisters.

"Only because our brother is a dipshit," Larkin shot back.

"That doesn't make me feel any better," I told them.

"Look, our brother has some weird hang up. He's been that way since we were born. Hell, he hid when they found out about us, then refused to come out almost killing our ma. Yeah, we're still pissed about that, because let me tell you, if he had killed her and left us with Dad, we would have beaten his ass," Lyric said.