53. Reuniting

Julie entered the woods after making it to the grass safely. She heard howling in the distance and fear closed in on her. Her heart raced, her chest feeling heavy with worry and guilt as she thought of Dresden. She quickly took off, her adrenaline driving her forward. Instinct told her that he was out there, fighting hard. Her confidence faltered as terrifying thoughts and what-if scenarios swarmed her mind.

She felt something wet touch the bottom of her foot, the cool fuild feeling thicker than oridinary water. She glanced down, her heart stopping in her chest. Fresh blood. She jumped back, her stomach twisting as hot tears began to pour from her face. She shook, desperately wiping the blood off of her foot and onto some clean grass. She glanced around her, the howls echoing with the wind as she whimpered. There wasn't a body in sight.

She continued forward, her heart, her mind, her body and her soul begging Fenrir to lead her to Dresden's warmth where she could run from her past and feel safe. The nightmarish memories of being soaked with blood, of being a killer, blinded her. Howls turned louder and nastier as she continued forward.

A branch broke next to her and as she turned, she came face to face with a red Alpha wolf. He snarled at her, menacingly stepping towards her. She flinched, taking off away from him. She jumped over a log, her feet landing on some branches that cut her. The wind stung her face, making her shiver and her lungs dry up, screaming for air. She could hear the grunts and feel the Earth vibrate behind her as the wolf pounded after her. His hot breath was on her back, merely inches from her. She cried out, willing herself to continue forward. Then, a whelp came. She slid to a stop and turned. The red wolf was lying flat on his back, another unknown wolf on top of him, conqueering over its victim. She didn't stay. She raced forward, knowing she was closing in on the battle ground.

A loud, single howl echoed through the woods, making time stop and everything stand still. Her chest heaved as sweat fell down her face and neck but her hands shook with fear.

Please, she begged Fenrir.

Julie broke through the edge of the woods, her heart paralyzed with fear. She panted, her lungs working hard to catch her breathe. Her knees were weak, shaking beneath her as her bare feet stung, frozen from the cold, wintery ground. She looked up, taking in the most horrifying scene she could ever imagine. Before her were the three packs she considered family: Rose's, Ollie's and her own. Few were dead, others were critically injured. But most of them were okay. And alive. They all crowded around part of the field, blocking her view of the occurence completely. They hadn't taken notice of her intrusion yet.

Dresden's wolf form appeared with its head held high up in the air, finishing a howl. As he dropped, she noticed his teeth were stained with blood and beneath him laid the naked body of Darren, completely still. Dresden phased, pulling on the jeans that he dragged along with him through the whole ordeal. He stood up to his full height, wiping his face off with his arm. Everyone else phased around him - Rose and Phillip, Sheila, Jack, her brothers, and Ryan. Few remained in their wolf forms, listening and watching for any sign of a runaway Alpha. Nearby, Ollie phased, looking cripled. His leg was broken and he had an opened wound on his chest - something that would definitely leave a mark. Everyone fussed over Ollie or stared up at Dresden with admiration, shock and worry.

Julie took a step forward, her eyes glued to Dresden as he looked down at his dead brother. Momentary grief struck his eyes but it was immediately gone, replaced by relief. He glanced up, taking a step forward and caught her eyes across the field. Instantly, he looked regretful.

Julie was shaking, reacting from the deadly scene around her. She knew he was not her enemy but her body had seen too much war, too much violence. It was reacting naturally, without her commands, as fear flowed through her. The blood over his face and chest, the blood stained on the bottom of her foot and the blood staining the land around her - all of was a living nightmare. Dresden knew immediately and tore his gaze from her, full of frustration and shame. He did not want her to see him like this.