18. Rumors

Julie sighed, feeling more frustrated than she was previously. She sat against the headboard of the bed, her journal laid out in front of her and her hand was tapping away with her pen, failing to find something to write about. It was already Wednesday, just half past noon and she was going insane. Most of her pack had left for work or school but some stayed behind - mostly nursing mothers, kids who couldn't control their abilites just yet and those that decided to skip school or had the day off - all of which were like ghosts to her. She could hear them from time to time but she wasn't allowed to leave the room and see them. And no one came to visit her.

She had attempted to sneak out and go to school on both Monday and Tuesday but was caught both times. It seemed her scent was stronger and easier to pick out than she originally thought.

The first attempt was such a simple idea. It wasn't hard to understand why it didn't work. She actually got up early and got ready for the day and headed downstairs to leave with everyone else. She had hoped that she would be able to blend in with everyone else and get out of the house before anyone realized her plan. Of course, she was caught easily and Dresden dragged her back up the stairs himself.

The second attempt was a little more difficult. She started talking more to Dresden, slowly convincing him to let her, at least, leave the bedroom and go into the living room. He was skeptical at first but eventually he decided to trust her and allowd her freedom. When he and everyone else had left, she decided to sneak out the back door and use the trees as a sheild to make her way to the school. Unfortunately, she ran into Mrs. Edwards, the pack's day care provider. She was in charge of every child that couldn't control his or her abilites during the day and it turned out that Dresden had assigned her of keeping an eye on Julie as well. When Dresden found out, he immediately told her that she would pay if she tried to escape again.

Julie couldn't help herself. She knew she was probably getting into some serious trouble - especially with Dresden. But she was feeling more and more antsy and she decided to test him. So, ignoring that threat, she tried for the third time today. She failed before she could even execute her plan. She had waited until everything was quiet, making sure everyone had left before she got up and got ready. She didn't even get to take a step out of the bedroom before getting caught. Dresden was already leaning against the door with his arms crossed, giving her an annoyed expression.

Now, she has guards. And not just any guards. She has some of the top ass-kicking Were lined up to look after her throughout the day. She could open the door and ask for things like water or food but someone was always right there in the hallway, listening in on her and making sure she didn't try to escape. Most of them seemed annoyed whenever she opened the door. A few them though seemed eager for her to try, as if it was all a game. And she didn't dare go against them wolfless.

She sighed for the millionth time, banging her head against the headboard as she stared at the ceiling. She couldn't help but feel like it was torture. She almost wanted to run back home to James just so she could have the small freedoms she was denied here. The only bad thing was the punishments and she really didn't feel like returning to that. Plus, her new Alpha seemed more tolerant of her behaviors, despite her attempt to go against his order. He almost reminded her of her old pack.

She didn't understand her Alpha. She never knew an Alpha to be so caring to their pack to allow members to use their own bedroom to heal - not unless they were the Alpha mate. And there was just no way that situation was possible for her. She would know if Dresden had been her mate. Or at least, she would hoped to know. She wasn't anywhere sure if she could find her mate, now that she was wolfless.

Regardless, Dresden was extraordinary to go to such extremes as to lock her up in his room with guards 24/7. What's even more surprising is that he could handle himself very well even though it was mating season. She would have figured she-wolves would be lining up to get even just a little attention from him. It wasn't like he wasn't good looking or anything. She had even caught herself watching him from time to time, observing his muscles and his movements and finding herself captivated by them. Any she-wolf would be lucky to have him as a mate.