32. Ghost Chase Part 2

Dresden finally chased down Julie.  She had taken off for the woods faster than before but this time, he wasn't so far behind that he had to phase to catch her. This time, he managed to stay on her tail with his own two legs. He's panting and he's sweating, getting a good work out from following her but he was right there - just inches away from grabbing her. He was more focused on her than anything else. He worried she'd trip and fall, she'd hurt herself all over again. His fear of that gave him enough power to catch her.

She had fallen, he noticed. She had scraped her leg but it wasn't bugging her at all. After all, she stood right back up and continued running like it was nothing. She was in the same state as he - panting and sweating - but she was broken.

He had her trapped against the tree, refusing to let her continue on any longer without an explanation. She caught his gaze, realization crawling over her face and then she melted. Her hand came up to cover her mouth, her eyes were already crying and she was terrified and grief stricken. He caught her in his arms before she could fall to the ground, carrying her down gently, and holding onto her as she cried against his chest. His heart ached. He wanted to hold her as tightly as possible, to soak up her tears and her pain, to take it all on his own. He wanted to make her smile and make her forget. He wanted to tear apart the bastard who broke her.

He sighed, feeling frustration and guilt - not able to do a damn thing to help his mate. He rubbed her arms, shoulders and back - anything to spread his warmth and to comfort her. He kissed her head and whispered sweet sayings - things he'd never thought he'd ever say. But he was desperate. He'd do anything to make her feel better.

After what felt like hours, he finally saw results. She breathed easier, her tears had slowly stopped and she was taking deep breathes, calming herself down. She pulled away from him and looked away, cuddling herself against the tree.

"I'm sorry." She mumbled, shame in her voice. "I'm so sorry." He shook his head, turning her face to look at him.

"You don't say that." He told her sternly, letting his frustration seep over her. "You tell me what the hell is wrong. No more secrets." She stared at him, her lip quivering, threatening to cry again.

She felt ashamed that she let this go on for so long that she brought her Alpha into it. He already had enough on his plate. He had a war that was threatening his family. He had a pack to take care of - had a family to look after. He had a mate who was nowhere near him and that would be enough to send anyone over the edge. She felt so ashamed that she cried in her Alpha's arms. She knew she had to tell him the truth. She owed him that much.

"I lost my wolf," She mumbled, her voice weak and shaky. He sighed, leaning on his knees to face her.

"I know that."

"But you don't know how." She argued, looking up at him with guilt. He sat quietly, giving her the softest of expressions and waited for her to continue. "I lost my wolf protecting my pack."

"Rose's pack?" She nodded and looked dazed, drifting off into memory. He lifted her chin, reminding her to continue. He could only imagine what she meant. Did another wolf do this to her? Did she nearly die?

"Our pack was going through war with someone who was known to raise chaos. They were a pack enitrely of rogues - Alpha rogues. They grew by killing others, playing with their victims." She explained, her hands gripping her shirt. Dresden suddenly realized just how much fear she was holding back today. He could only imagine what she had felt like walking through the campus knowing the packs were on the brink of war, remembering what it felt like. His guilt threatened to reach its limit. "Our pack was the next victim."

She paused, biting her lip as she thought back. He knew exactly what she was talking about. It was nearly a year ago when a pack of Alpha rogues were attacking packs, way beyond his borders. He and Ollie were too distracted with an argument to even wonder about the packs being affected. But he knew it was bad. It was nearly as bad as what he used to do. The fact that Julie was affected terrified and enraged him all at once.