26. Pack Party

"What is going on?" Julie asked as Dresden helped her down the stairs, telling her not to force herself. He never allowed her to leave the bedroom before (not after her second attempt at escaping) but today, out of the blue, he tells her to come downstairs. She didn't know if he was planning something or if he was just letting her have a change of scenery. She wasn't sure if she should be cautious or not but he was leading her, holding her hand and keeping a secure arm on her back.

The last two days had been extremely quiet for two packs on the verge of war. She had been left alone most of the day, without guards and without visitors. She knew Jack was available to her, keeping an eye on the house and the things going on inside, but she didn't bug him. Both he and Dresden had been ferociously trying to gather information, update border controls and making sure everyone stayed clear from Ollie's pack. Dresden spent most of the days away, searching for Trisha and attempting to find the source of the rumors. When he did return, he had looked so stressed that Julie decided to avoid the topic entirely and focused on her IPod.

Today, on the other hand, she hear noises of all kinds coming from around the house. When she looked out the window and into the back yard, she saw the kids and parents entertaining themselves while everyone else seemed rushed and busy. She feared that they were doing preparations for attacks but then Dresden came and told her to change out of her pajamas. Now, he was leading her down the stairs and she wasn't sure if she should be preparing herself or not.

"It's a pack party," He answered, startling her. She paused, staring at him in disbelief but he pulled her forward. Her mind raced through the facts. Trisha was still missing. Her pack was still being accused of holding her hostage. And there was a still huge threat of war hanging over their heads. And they were having a party?

Truthfully, Dresden didn't want to hold the party because of the war threats. But it was a way for Julie, who was much stronger than before, to get comfortable with the pack. He wanted her to feel welcomed among them, to feel safe. He didn't want her to think she was an outsider, where everyone else was dangerous and powerful and she wasn't. He knew they were a troublesome bunch but he wanted her to see that they were as family oriented as Ollie's pack.

"Why is there a party? Shouldn't we be more concerned about what might happen with Ollie?" She asked but he turned to her quickly, placing a finger at his lips.

"Tonight we're not going to worry about that. Besides, these guys don't stress about those kinds of things easily." He smirked and then guided her forward, down through the hall. The last time she had partied with this pack, she didn't stay for very long. Of course, Dresden had been angry with her then, ruining a good shirt and jacket. And the only people she's met so far didn't seem to like her much. She didn't have confidence that she would stay for long during this party either.

"Julie!" Jack greeted her, a beer can in on hand. Music was playing loudly, sounding like it came from the back yard. People were gathered around in the living room, kitchen and dining room, talking loudly and laughing. The back door was opened and she could see a game of football going, along with others who were dancing and laughing. The smell of barbecue met her nose and her stomach growled. Jack chuckled, hearing it perfectly over the music. "Finally want to eat something on your own, huh?" Julie stared at him, tugging on her shirt nervously.

"Come on," Dresden pushed her forward, towards the backyard. Her pack members greeted him with a bow of their heads, smirking at her. She gulped as she continued forward, her heart racing. She made it to the back porch, looking over the whole field. The football was being played by mostly males. Younger wolves versus older and they tackled each other roughly, acting like it was training for combat. A few were already bloody and she couldn't help but wince looking at them. Dresden chuckled at her and led her towards the food where Mrs. Edwards smiled at her kindly and handed her a plate.