36. Dream (short)

Julie was walking back to the pack house, wearily. Kris and Sheila helped her on the way, catching her as she wobbled, supporting her as she swayed. At first, Dresden had tried to carry her back but she refused. She didn't want to be anywhere near him. He had licked her wounds shut, the iron taste of her blood making him sick and when was done, she blinked awake. She was weak and tired, her body making up for loss blood but she still wouldn't let him do anything to help. Kris and Sheila kept an eye on her, their arms at the ready as she walked on her own. It wasn't just Julie they were caring for anymore. It was their Alpha's mate - the Alpha mate. She had just as much control over them as he did and she knew it now. It didn't matter that she couldnt phase.

"Sheila?" She asked, her voice a mumble.

"Yes?" Sheila stepped close to her, grasping her arm and supporting her. Kris stayed behind her, her hand at Julie's back. They stepped through the trees, finally making it to the backyard of the pack house.

"Can I stay in your room tonight?" Sheila looked flustered, exchanging a glance with Kris. If she said no, Julie would be angry with her. But if she said yes, Dresden would probably be worse. Both situations didn't have a good outcome for her in the end.

But as she stared at Julie, her heart went out to her. She could see the pain across Julie's features. The trust she had with her mate was broken. Sheila knew Julie needed time. "Of course."

Julie fainted and Kris and Sheila caught her in a panick. They carried her inside, slowly and carefully. Sheila tucked her into the twin sized bed, making sure the Alpha mate would be warm throughout the night. Kris called it a night and went to meet Steve on the porch leaving Sheila to take care of Julie. She brushed Julie's hair out of her face and sighed. Toinght she would give Julie her space. She could spend it with Jack in his room.

~~~

Julie stirred, the ground soft beneath her. The scent of springtime filled her nose. Flowers and trees and fresh grass surrounded her. It was soothing and it was beautiful. She picked out the scent of lavender, of roses, lilacs and gardenias. Safflowers and sunflowers and then a mix of herbs in the distance. Fresh soil and clean air drifted her off into a sweet abyss.

"Do you want to save your family?"

She knew that voice. It was soft and smooth, a regal tone to it. It was powerful and graceful. It echoed all around her, its substance was full of life, of spirit. It was like a far off memory crying in her ears.

Julie let out a curling scream, choking on tears and breathing through pain. Something hot shot through her, spreading in her veins. A power so strong, it burned, scarred her.

"Are you sure you're willing to lose the best part of you?"

She heard growling and snarls. A howl so loud, so clear it made her cry. She recognized it as it sang, ringing in her ears. Her stomach churned with a sort of sickness that could knock anyone down as soon as it came upon them. She choked, a hot liquid burning and clogging her throat. The cold brutally attacked her and her body ached.

"You will walk alone from now on."

The words echoed, repeating themselves over and over. Julie jolted and jerked in protest, her wolf was whimpering and growling in pain.

"Come to me, little wolf."