14. Dreaming (short)

Julie was pulled into a world of black, her body tingling with waves of pain. She felt that needle like poking sensation, stabbing her skin as if putting herself back together again. She felt sharp teeth sink into her skin, a howl creeping out of her throat. She saw the pair of red eyes and then things switched.

She saw a beautiful woman with blonde hair and a face hidden in the shadows. Her mouth was moving, saying something. But Julie couldn't hear her. She felt a burning sensation rise under her skin and hollared in pain from it.

The dream switched again. She was running, on all fours. Her paws pounded against the Earth and the wind breezed by her, feeling like ocean spray on a sunny afternoon. She heard her wolf body panting. Her nose took in all kinds of scents - flowers and bark, bears and other wolves. She could smell water and she could smell barbecue from the neighborhood a mile or two away. She hears a peircing howl and stopped, her fur rising and puffing up in anger.

The dream switched. She was running through the forrest, the terrain constantly changing under her paws. Wolves tackled wolves on either side of her. She twisted and turned her body, avoiding as many if not most of the wolves who attempted to attack her. She heard her family's cries. She was tackled. Quickly, she thought, throwing off the wolf from her and continuing forward. The figure of a dark brown wolf with red eyes at the far end of the battle field glared down at her, watching her as she pushed herself forward. She grunted, her anger controlling her. When she was close enough, she leaped forward, her eyes never leaving the enemy.

Julie jumped away, the sound of a snarl and a bone-breaking snap lingering in her ears. She looked around the room, finding herself where Dresden and Jack had left her. She leaned forward, placing her head in her hands and took deep breaths, trying to soothe herself. Where was Zach and Andy when they're needed?