45. Ian

By the time Dresden returned it was already past midnight and Julie was exhausted. It was pouring outside - a sure sign that winter was, in fact, happening - and if it weren't for the werewolf heat filling up the house, Julie would be wrapped up in three thick blankets, sweats and a hoodie with two pairs of socks. But for now she settled with just a hoodie, a single pair of socks and a blanket to wrap around her legs. Not many were focused on the weather like she was. Most of the pack had gone to bed while the rest were on border control. Jack was sleeping in his room upstairs, his arm nearly healed and if nothing happened for the next few days, she was sure he would be able to join in on the fun with Ian. There were still a few Were that were up though, watching TV and drinking in the living room.

Julie had spent the last hour in the dining room, watching through the window for Dresden to appear from the woods. When had appeared and walked in through the door, he didn't even notice her. Instead, he had slowly for the living room. She wondered if maybe they should hold off on their talk for another night or so. He looked exhausted himself and it was obvious that he was stressed out enough. But she knew it was time to figure things out.

Besides, she already thought of way to deal with it.

She walked iinto the hallway and looked through it. He was sitting on one of the chairs, taking a swig from a bottle of beer that he stole from one of the others.

"Dresden." She called out to him and he didn't hesitate to look at her. He nodded his head, gesturing for her to go up before him and she sighed. She made her way up to the third floor and sat on his bed, sitting on her legs. A few moments later, he walked in and she immediately avoided him, looking at the floor instead. Her heart was pounding in her chest so hard, she was sure he could hear it.

"Sorry for coming back so late." He told her, edging towards her. She shrugged it off, squeezing her hands with nerves. She wasn't sure how to say what was on her mind. She didn't even know what he wanted to say her. But she had a feeling. "Are you okay?" She glanced, finding him kneeled in front of her, staring at her with concern.

"Fine," She stuttered. "Have you heard anything about Ian yet?"

She cursed. She hadn't meant to bring up anything about Ian or his pack of Alpha wolves. She had wanted to avoid that subject entirely and focus on the important matter between the two. 

"No," He sighed, dropping his head in frustration. "No one can get a trace of him. He's good at hiding his tracks."

An awkward stage passed between the two. As Julie tried to figure out something that would help her ease her thoughts out, Dresden stared at her, admiring her more and more. She was healthier than before. Her skin was healthy and although it could use a tan, he still thought the pale tone did wonders for her. Her eyes didn't have bags under them and her bruises were completely gone as far as he could tell. She still had scars on her arm, healing slowly but surely healing. And her eyes were bright and alert. She was completely different from when he first met her. And she was gorgeous.

"Jul-"

"I'm going to stay at Ollie's with Andy." She blurted out, regretting it immediately. Dresden's heart stopped as he stared at her.

"Excuse me?" She looked at him, her face expressing regret and nervousness. She adjusted her position, staring down at him.

"I figure it would be best." She said slowly, fingering the bottom of her shirt. "I'll stay here until we find Trisha and then I'll go there for a while."

Dresden glared up at her, attempting to read her mind. He couldn't see any reason for her to go and stay at Ollie's. Visiting was one thing - he could understand the logic in that. But staying? What for? It's not like he wasn't accepting her. And he would never let her get away with rejecting him. He'd follow her to the end of the world, all the way to Fenrir's Court if it meant making her understand his feelings for her.