35. Julie's Interference

Julie raced to the window as soon as she heard Dresden snarl out the door. She heard footsteps running throughout the house, voices panicking and yelling. Some cursed while others yelled out orders, passed down from the Alpha. Jack's voice echoed the loudest, shouting demands to anyone who looked lost. In the  backyard, she watched as her pack phased and ran for the woods, all looked ready to kill. She knew immediately what that meant.

Mrs. Edwards entered her room, a group of children following after her. They crowded into the room, looking terrified and threatening to cry. The elder herself looked panicked, her fear concerning the children more than anything. She looked up at Julie after closing the door.

"Are you alright?" She asked. Julie felt dread wash over her. She hadn't processed what the children were doing in the bedroom nor why Mrs. Edwards had brought them there. She immediately thought of her brothers alone. She glanced around the room, looking pass the little ones, unsure of what exactly she was looking for. Should she make some kind of weapon? She shook her head. No weapon would be able to hold off a Were.

She rushed pass Mrs. Edwards, closing the door behind her. The older woman called after her, telling her to return but Julie ignored her. She followed her gut.

No one had been in the pack house. It was eerily empty  and she didn't like it. But she knew some Were had been ordered to guard the pack house - just in case. She just didn't know where. She stepped out onto the back porch, the cold air making her shiver, sending goose bumps over her skin. Jack was there, looking strong despite his weak state. He snarled at her but she ran passed him. He wouldn't be able to stop her.

The ground was freezing under her warm feet. Her pajamas might have been warm enough for just standing outside but for running, they were too thin. The adrenaline flowing through her kept her mind focused, her fear driving her forward. Her ears were sharp, listening for the howls. There were so many of them mixed with cries and snarls. She knew war had started. It brought back memories, the voices of her pack members crying out in pain, in anger and in grief as one after the other fell to the all Alpha pack. She shook, keeping her focus on the now. The noise got louder and more clearer and she knew she was heading in the right direction. Her lungs were dry, her chest was swelling with pain and her side gave her a pang that made her choke. She ignored them all, picking up her speed as she raced forward.

She broke through the trees, a large, unfamiliar field greeting her. Fear captivated her, seizing control of her movements and making her stop breathing entirely. Wolves from both packs were attacking each other. Baring their teeth, they snapped and bite at one another, their fangs sinking deep into the flesh and reappearing with blood dripping over their faces. They pushed and shoved into each other, tackling one another to the ground, attemping to overpower each other. They snarled and growled, clawing their opponents. Wolves whimpered and cried out, the red blood staining the grass.

Julie felt herself shaking, unable to move forward. The scene was too familiar, too gruesome and she felt herself cave. Her memories came flooding to the front of her mind, drowning her with fear and loss. She flinched with every snarl. She winced with every whimper. Her hands shook, her knees were weak and she could feel hot tears pour down her face. She opened her mouth, a scream curling at the back of her throat but she was unable to release it. She heard the echoes of her brothers. Zach cursing loudly in her mind, hate seething from him as he fought off two Alphas that were teaming up against him. Andy, whimpering in pain. He was bloody and it was bad - really bad. He was cornered,  barely having the strength to stand up. Rose, as ferocious as she was, was struggling. She was defending her pack as much as possible but even Julie knew she was at her limits. Phillip was next to her, trying to protect her with his life. And Julie was lost to her memories.