37. Argument

Dresden sat up alone, leaning against the headboard of his bed. His mind kept repeating the late night event in his head like a broken record. Zach's words kept echoing, bringing up the horrible memory of Julie's expression. He cursed and slam his head against the board in anger for the thousandth time. He oculd feel Julie's pain hit him like a brick, breaking into his skull. She felt betrayed, he knew. He just didn't know what he could do to fix her broken trust.

It's been three days - three days - since Julie found out they were mates. That means, it's been 72 hours since Julie was hurt. That was the last time he saw her - 4320 minutes ago. He was going mad. He didn't sleep. Whatever sleep he found himself in would be disturbed by the image of Julie's pained expression and wounded body. He hardly ate and what food he did eat was forced by Jackie. He spent the last three days, sitting in his room, trying to come up with something that would let him see her again.

The morning after, he panicked. He panicked because Julie was nowhere near him. Then he panicked because he knew Julie had gotten hurt and he couldn't see how she was doing or how she felt. He needed to know if she was alright. Then he panicked because he knew she was still upset. He didn't know what he could do and he didn't know what he should do.

He would get up and head for the door. Then he'd slam his head onto the wood and go back to sit down. His mind raced with different things to say, different ways to explain. Anything he could think of, he'd reject. Nothing seemed good enough.

But today, he had to see her. He will see her. He couldn't go another day wondering about her.

He ended up at Sheila's door. She had just left the bedroom and with one look at her Alpha, she immediately told him Julie was in there and left, taking along anyone who was near with her. He leaned against the door, wanting to go in but dreading it. He wanted to see her. But he didn't know what he would do next. He didn't know if seeing her would make her angry or hurt. And he couldn't handle causing anymore pain.

He growled in frustration, slamming his head onto the wall near the door. He's never felt so afraid in his life. He has never had to face a challenge like this. Whatever problem he had, he'd face it head on, tackling it in one go. He would do what he could, even if it meant doing small things. But this - this he couldn't just barge into. With this, he didn't know what would be the outcome. Just crossing through that door may end up in a mutual understanding or it may end up with Julie hating him with her whole being. Worse case scenario: he would cause her pain.

He sucked it up, turning the knob. He knocked on it three times before opening the door, warning her that he was coming in whether she wanted him to or not. He found Julie sitting on the bed, her legs pulled to her chest and her body angled to look out the window. She was wearing one of Sheila's pajamas and it didn't seem like she had gotten up since the morning three days ago. Her hair was a mess and her eyes were swollen and blood shot. He immediately knew she had nightmares. He'd kill to go back in time and force her to let him comfort her.

"Julie," He whispered, closing the door. He walked close to her as she turned to look at him, wiping her face furiously. He had already noticed her tear stained cheeks.

"What do you want?" She asked, her voice weak but venomous. He winced, internally knowing he deserved it. He deserved a lot more than just a venomous voice. He sat on the edge of the bed, staring at her. He scoured his mind to find something to say.

"How are your wounds?"

"Fine," She answered, looking at everything but him. He sighed in frustration. This wasn't going anywhere like he hoped.

"Julie, we need to talk." She scoffed.

"Now you want to talk?" She sharply looked at him, glaring with her eyes. Her voice was harsh - quiet but harsh - with anger seething through every word. "First you want to order me around, threaten me, imprison me, glare and growl at me and now you want to talk?"

"I was wrong then." He admitted, his jaw clenching to hold back his frustration. She had every right to scold him, to yell at him. But his pride wasn't an easy thing to control. He wasn't used to be scolding at. "I really did believe you were weak and I was frustrated that you were ignoring me. I realized too late that you couldn't help it." She laughed but it was nowhere near her precious laugh that he remembered.

"I couldn't help it?" She bit her lip, looking away from him. He could see she was fighting back tears, refusing to let them fall. "Is that your excuse then? You knew we were mates yet you treated me like shit as soon as you saw me and you kept it from me. Could you not help it?"

"Julie!" He growled. "You know that's not true."

"How?" She asked, standing on her knees and yelling at him. He noticed her wince but she ignored it. "How can I know? I can't even trust you! After everything I've told you, everything I opened up to you about, you've kept such a secret from me! How do you expect me to know when I can't even trust your words anymore?" He sat still, letting her cry out her frustrations in silence. He didn't move to hug her this time, knowing she wouldn't accept it even if he tried. He waited patiently, biting his tongue until she was calmer.

"Julie, I didn't tell you because-"

"Just forget it." She interrupted him, her voice quiet. She sniffled and wiped her tears with her hands, taking a deep sigh. "Just save it for later. We need to stop wasting time. We have to focus on Trisha and figure out who's doing all of this. Trisha needs our help. We can't afford to waste time." She repeated, standing up and leaving him alone in Sheila's room.

The pack sat downstairs quietly. Even the children didn't dare make a sound. All of their ears knew what had just happened but none of them wanted to awknowledge it, to admit it. They may be wounded or filled with pain themselves but they were all sorely pained for their Alpha and his mate. As they sat in silence, listening quietly, Jack laid on the couch, drinking a can of beer. He, out of everyone else, knew exactly how his Alpha was faring.

"Damn it!"

Jack sighed, wincing as he heard something crash. He looked to the rest of the pack, his face set in a hard, cold stoney look.

"No one is to disturb him."