16. Beta Duty Part 2

"Good morning," Jack was greeted when he opened his eyes. He chuckled at the voice and groaned, dropping his head back onto his pillow. "Still tired?"

"No, I'm just thinking about all of the things I have to do today." He mumbled. Sheila wrapped herself against him, kissing his chest.

"I can distract you if you want?" She offered, and he chuckled again. That would be something he would enjoy. It was the aftermath - the effects of Dresden that would bring him back to his misery square one.

"Maybe later," He answerd. "I've got to get up."

"Already?" She asked, disappointed and he nodded, sitting up. "But it's barely noon!"

"Dresden's mate is still adjusting. He'll have to go check on the borders with Steve today so she's under my care." He explained.

"Julie?" Shiela asked, sounding more alert than ever. Jack glanced down at her, knowing her better than anyone else. She looked away from him, adjusting the sheets around her. He watched as she rubbed her lips, biting them before snapping her expression back to normal in an attempt to hide her knowledge. Jack knew better.  He groaned.

"Who is it?" He said, having a feeling that he would have to pull out the responsbile stern beta today. "Who's going to mess with Julie?" Sheila sighed and turned to him.

"All of Dresden's recent lovers," She answered. "Leila, of course, Nina and Brittany were talking about it yesterday. Surprisingly, Kennedy was in it for it too."

"Don't those dumb bitches know anything?" He mumbled, rubbing the space in between his eyes. "Why didn't you convince them otherwise?"

"I tried," She answered, resting a hand on his shoulder. "Kennedy was the only one who really paid attention."

"Fine," He sighed. "If they want to play dirty then dirty they will get." He stood up, pulling on a pair of jeans. Sheila fell back dramtically, cuddling against his pillow.

"I'm going back to sleep." She told him and he nodded, not caring. He gave her one more look, finding the scene before him extremely tempting, and smirked. She laughed as he shook his thoughts away and left her, slipping into one of his flannel shirts. He climbed up the stairs to the third floor, the Alpha's floor. He knocked on Dresden's door quielty in case the Alpha mate was still asleep but Julie answered him, sounding shaky. When he walked in, he found her leaning against the headboard, looking up at him expectantly. Her hands were gripping her arms and he could tell that she was thinking about something that she shouldn't be.

Either that or someone actually bugged her already.

"Are you alright?" He asked, more annoyed than anything. She nodded her head eagerly and he stared at her for a few seconds in disbelief. "No one bugged you?" She shook her head and he sighed, knowing she was lying. He left her, closing the door and heading back down the stairs. He was going to find them - especially Leila. He already knew how he was going to get them under control.

He walked down the hall, passing Were who greeted him with a bow of their heads. He didn't find them in the living room. He tried the backyard but failed. So he went for the kitchen. Of course - it was their favorite gossip spot.

Leaning against the counters, talking and laughing among themselves were Leila, Brittany and Nina. All three of them were wearing victory smirks. He had to admit, they looked sexy enough for three people who just woke up probably not even two hours ago. Still, he found these three something like flat tires. They were great at first and then that nail had to come out of nowhere and now they were just empty bags. He hid close to the door, listening to them talk.